1x1
You Are In:  Home > Forums > Media and Digital TV Forums > Radio > Lanarkshire's L107- please give it a chance.
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio For discussion of radio stations, programming, and digital radio technologies.

Old 24-01-2009, 02:05   #76
BigPete
Forum Member

Services: VirginMedia 20Mb XL services
I would never consider myself as an anorak, as I hate the expression and gives me visions of a guy with milk bottle glasses wearing one. Also the radio forum is not the only forum I read or comment on on DS there are many other subjects that interest me. I would consider myself as a concerned radio listener in the way radio is run these days compared to being truly local like many years ago. My interest in radio only really resurged after many years of working hard DJ-ing night after night as well as my daytime jobs when I got involved with a community station by invitation that was trying to set up a few years ago.
I suppose if I was still DJ-ing until the early hours of the morning I could comment more on the L107 overnight output but can't. I'm sure though there are many nightshift workers listening and no need for the presenter to shout out the window. Also like in the old days of radio I suppose it's giving the overnight presenters experience where there are little or no opportunities for people to do that these days or keep their name still there as working in broadcasting. I know one thing because I tried to voice-track a show once and the buzz just wasn't the same as being live. I still believe the presenters overnight on L107 are probably gaining better experience than doing a voice-track.
BigPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 02:06   #77
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlcool View Post
If thats the radio you like to listen to BP then fair enough, but bear in mind you are an anorak( as we all are on here), and not a true representative of the listening public..

24 hour live radio for a small station is nothing more than a gimmick.

Its a waste of money on a station that is throwing money away.

A tiny percentage of people listen to radio as a whole at nights and thats a fact. So to get a percentage of a tiny audience just to say 'we are 24 hours live' is just a gimmick and self indulgence.

Guys on during the nightshift on the station would be as well shouting out the window of the station as more people will probably hear them doing that than listen to them on
the radio.
sorry but you've lost the plot ?
The_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 02:14   #78
kewlcool
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sleeper View Post
sorry but you've lost the plot ?
Hardly. A wee exaggeration maybe.

But be lucky if they have a couple of hundred listeners on an overnight shift.
kewlcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 02:25   #79
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Quote:
Hardly. A wee exaggeration maybe.

But be lucky if they have a couple of hundred listeners on an overnight shift.
get a life please ? let this thread live long & prosper .
Old 24-01-2009, 04:18   #80
Black Label
Forum Member

Services: Tiscali broadband, DAB, Sky+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
It was Wednesday night that Scottie stood in for Late Night Love as my wife sometimes likes to listen to it. I turned on L107 out of curiosity after listening to a friends oldies show on an online station. It was actually quite refreshing to hear him doing a show like that rather than a phone in and I must admit I found it very relaxing also.
Yes I have enjoyed Scottie on LNL when I have tuned in. His links are old skool and perhaps slightly contrived "....That's Roxette and 'It Must Have Been Love' but now it's all over so we have to turn A Different Corner" (cue George Michael)..... is one that vaguely jumps to mind. Certainly something along these lines.

Off he toddled at 1am, only to be back on air and was back on 9 hours later at 10 am chipper as ever for his daily phone-in the next day.

Regardless of the financial whys and wherefores he's obviously having fun, as are the others involved.
Black Label is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 07:02   #81
Arthur Grainger
Forum Member

Quote:
Its basic arithmetic mate. To smack local customers in the ears they have to be listening, and they never have in decent numbers to L107/Clan/The Edge.

Not enough listeners=not enough impact for advertisers=waste of money.

To maintain the station you need repeat business and you can all but guarantee little of the few who advertise currently will come back for more. Reason being their last campaign had no impact.

Even in its best days with Clan the most it ever hit was around 15-thousand rouhly. BlackLabel may have the precise figures.

Thats not enough to make any advertiser, even small ones, fill their boots/
First of all, if you're going to make an argument, try and get your facts right.

Clan FM at its peak had a RAJAR of 11%, that makes for an audience of around 35,000 people. Indeed, for much of its life, acording to RAJAR, Clan was bouncing along between 8 and 9%, slightly less than 29,000 - and it was when Clan / The Edge was at its lowest, according to RAJAR, which also coincided with the time Kingdom bought it over and made radical changes, were the adeinces as low as 16,000.

I must point out to you that there are quite a number of small stations in the UK who do not and never have subscribed to RAJAR, yet they still attract advertisers and have been on air for well over a decade now.

As for the point you made about repeat business, most of L107's present advertisers have been on the log for several months now, which I consider top be repeat business - which was something that was seldomly achieved when Mark Page owned the station (I have a copy of the logs during Mark's ownership, so I know that for certain - I can tell you who advertised and when).

Again, if you're trying to make an argument - get the facts right.

Finally, regarding your points about North Lanarkshire Council advertising on Clyde and not L107. I was head of PR at NLC I definitely wouldn't advertise on L107. Radio Clyde provide 100% coverage of the county, therefore no wastage. L107 on the other hand does not - unfortunately, the bulk of their potential audience, i.e. Monklands, does not get the signal.
Arthur Grainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 09:39   #82
Over By Yer!
Forum Member

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV,Phone,Broadband and Mobile
I have been listening on and off to L107 since the relaunch last year..and I am impressed!
L107 a 'live' and local station 24/7 and the wide variety of music played on the station appeals to a person like me who enjoys music of all genres. For example this morning on the Paul Stewart breakfast show I have heard music from 10cc,Peter Noone,Mott The Hoople,The Kaiser Cheifs,Alastair McDonald and more recent songs from the current Top 40.
This together with an excellent local news service puts a lot of stations in the rest of the UK to shame!
To everyone concerned with L107 from the tea boy upwards I congratulate you all on providing such a great sounding station. I just hope that other stations take note...it's not rocket science is it?
Over By Yer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 12:58   #83
wavejockglw
Forum Member

Services: TalkTalk Broadband, Sky HD, Freeview, DAB, Vodafone
More changes and those playing the Q96 presenters game will gain more points!

Just announced that the Late Night Love show is to be taken over by Thea Neukam from next week. She replaces Greg Campbell who has not only covered various daily shows but has also provided web services and has been listed as one of the sales staff for the station.

Thea's shows have always been refreshing and her American accent should work well with the love songs.
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 13:06   #84
kewlcool
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Grainger View Post
First of all, if you're going to make an argument, try and get your facts right.

As for the point you made about repeat business, most of L107's present advertisers have been on the log for several months now, which I consider top be repeat business - which was something that was seldomly achieved when Mark Page owned the station (I have a copy of the logs during Mark's ownership, so I know that for certain - I can tell you who advertised and when).

Again, if you're trying to make an argument - get the facts right.
Considering the new L107 has only been on air a few months the argument about repeat business remains to be seen Arthur.

If they are still coming back in the summer then maybe they are getting what they want, somehow I doubt they will be.

I wasnt sure about Clan figures and said so in my post.

And the constant changing of presenters on shows does nothing for this listening experience. Four months down the road and they are still playing musical chairs.

Not the sign of a happy staff is it?
Old 24-01-2009, 13:10   #85
kewlcool
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sleeper View Post
get a life please ? let this thread live long & prosper .
Why dont you get a life and stop posting from the L107 studio PC when you're doing the night shift.
Old 24-01-2009, 14:35   #86
DKFM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavejockglw View Post

Just announced that the Late Night Love show is to be taken over by Thea Neukam from next week. She replaces Greg Campbell who has not only covered various daily shows but has also provided web services and has been listed as one of the sales staff for the station.

Thea's shows have always been refreshing and her American accent should work well with the love songs.
Now that's excellent news! Thea's return to the West of Scotland airwaves will be very welcome - and as you say, her presentation style seems to be particularly suited to the Late Night Love slot. Her shows were always a good listen on Scot FM and Q96.
DKFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 16:45   #87
the researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKFM View Post
Now that's excellent news! Thea's return to the West of Scotland airwaves will be very welcome - and as you say, her presentation style seems to be particularly suited to the Late Night Love slot. Her shows were always a good listen on Scot FM and Q96.
Is this a paid job or expenses only?
Old 24-01-2009, 17:11   #88
BigPete
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the researcher View Post
Is this a paid job or expenses only?
I think that would be a private matter between the presenter, the management & owners and not for public consumption on an open internet forum.
Old 24-01-2009, 18:19   #89
RadioGaz
Forum Member

Quote:

Interesting, as Scottie had previously said on air that it's local radio and would only use local people on air (I assume local covers most of Scotland!). Also note there's been an English girl on overnights week before last and sounded good.
RadioGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 18:22   #90
Arthur Grainger
Forum Member

Quote:
Considering the new L107 has only been on air a few months the argument about repeat business remains to be seen Arthur.

If they are still coming back in the summer then maybe they are getting what they want, somehow I doubt they will be.
Quite. Repeat business is when, unless advertisers have bought a block of several months, that they keep buying packages month after month after month - and I suspect that given the size of the businesses and todays financial climate, the latter is quite likely.

Quote:
I wasnt sure about Clan figures and said so in my post. .
So you came up with the first figure that came to your head to try and make your argument. That's very D-Spy. I'm puzzled as to why you even gave a (very wrong) figure in the first place if you "weren't sure."

Quote:
And the constant changing of presenters on shows does nothing for this listening experience. Four months down the road and they are still playing musical chairs.

Not the sign of a happy staff is it?
You're making an argument as if you believe you actually know how that business (L107) functions. THe presenters on L107 all have other jobs - and this is bit of a paid hobby for many, who do shows whenever asked and/or whenever they can manage, hence why you have the likes of Scottie covering for LNL, whilst the management are determined to keep the 24 hour live shows.
Arthur Grainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 18:36   #91
kewlcool
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Grainger View Post

You're making an argument as if you believe you actually know how that business (L107) functions. THe presenters on L107 all have other jobs - and this is bit of a paid hobby for many, who do shows whenever asked and/or whenever they can manage, hence why you have the likes of Scottie covering for LNL, whilst the management are determined to keep the 24 hour live shows.
I know how radio works Arthur and to keep changing lineups shows a distinct lack of being a professional station.

Community stations and hospital radio have revolving doors but L107 shouldnt if it wants to be taken seriously, thats all I'm saying.

They must have gone through close to 20 presenters in four months. They need stability Arthur.

Given everything I hope the station is a success and I will leave the debate to people who enjoy the output.

Its going to be a tough six months or so for them but heres hoping they come out of it.

Last edited by kewlcool : 24-01-2009 at 18:47. Reason: added sentence
Old 24-01-2009, 19:02   #92
the researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPete View Post
I think that would be a private matter between the presenter, the management & owners and not for public consumption on an open internet forum.
Nonsense. The private matter is how much a presenter is paid, not if. How long can a station rely on the goodwill of presenters by only paying expenses? It has already been pointed out the lack of stability at the station, is the expenses only strategy the cause?
Old 24-01-2009, 19:47   #93
BigPete
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the researcher View Post
Nonsense. The private matter is how much a presenter is paid, not if. How long can a station rely on the goodwill of presenters by only paying expenses? It has already been pointed out the lack of stability at the station, is the expenses only strategy the cause?
It is a private matter because the original comment was are they getting paid or expenses that would still constitute a private matter. It would be publicly known if they were being paid low or high. From what I have read elsewhere on this forum average presenters wages have been discussed before. It is complete guesswork on this forum about the lack of stability, the goodwill of presenters or being paid expenses. The only people who will know that are the presenters, management or owners of L107. Remember too the station is under a new incarnation and many new stations or when they change hands have went through changes in line-ups in their early days of formations.
If people want to give up their own time to present on the radio for low fees, because they love what the station is doing that others aren't and for the fun of it good on them, I take my hat off to them. Maybe they do it for the love of the job. I have given my time free or for expenses many times as a DJ for various events in the past. Money isn't everything to some people. I'm sure the same will go for some of the presenters at L107 who have other jobs that pay the bills which has been stated before.
Old 24-01-2009, 21:07   #94
wavejockglw
Forum Member

Services: TalkTalk Broadband, Sky HD, Freeview, DAB, Vodafone
The big problem with L107 is that the over the top straplines don't match the product. The constantly changing presenter line-up is confusing for listeners and not a morale builder for anyone involved presently or potentially. Just watching from well outwith the business one can tell that there are now considerable strains and those are likely to become major issues fairly soon. I totally agree that presenters employment terms should be a private matter and if some are working for expenses and enjoying the experience then that is their own business.

I heard the guy doing the 80's show stating that the L107 breakfast show was Central Scotland's favourite. That sort of statement is clearly ridiculous and those in charge should not allow their business to be exposed to such wild inaccurate nonsense.

L107 is now nothing more than a carbon copy of Q96 and as such it stands little chance of attracting the 12% that Clan achieved as those involved when at Q96 got nowhere near that reach back when there was not as strong competition from Real, Smooth and Galaxy.

From where I am sitting this reincarnation of L107 is nothing more than wallowing in Q96 nostalgia. It is clear that the bulk of the schedule is a 2009 version of the previous Q96 output (allbeit with a different local area in focus) and that bombed big time.

Smaller stations can make a living when they dont have the sort of exposure to competiton that L107 has. River FM gave up the game when they could not break through the 15% reach barrier. Other small stations are backed by businesses that have local media interests. Kingdom and Central have been on a downward spiral for years and have shrunk to about 50% of the reach they once had. For that reason one has been sold off and the other now looks unlikely to survive as an independent for long.

The harsh reality is that with the BBC controlling 50%+ of the market and big groups with powerful transmitters broadcasting local shows from co-located efficient studios the opportunity for a small station within such a patch is almost non-existant.

We shall see how long L107 lasts but it appears that the belt tightnening has already started.
wavejockglw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 00:21   #95
Lionelo
Forum Member

Quote:
The big problem with L107 is that the over the top straplines don't match the product.

From where I am sitting this reincarnation of L107 is nothing more than wallowing in Q96 nostalgia.

We shall see how long L107 lasts but it appears that the belt tightnening has already started.
Well, as a listener, I really don't analyse "straplines" I just found a mix of music and chat that I enjoy.
I don't see what so bad about nostalgia, it's a growth industry - on other threads people are yearning for this type of radio.
Surely it's possible that other listeners will feel the same, in fact I know quite a few who do.
That doesn't prove anything but I can't see how you can prove claims of belt tightening or the stations imminent demise.
Have you had a long and successful career in local radio?
Lionelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 00:43   #96
BigPete
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelo View Post
Well, as a listener, I really don't analyse "straplines" I just found a mix of music and chat that I enjoy.
I don't see what so bad about nostalgia, it's a growth industry - on other threads people are yearning for this type of radio.
Surely it's possible that other listeners will feel the same, in fact I know quite a few who do.
That doesn't prove anything but I can't see how you can prove claims of belt tightening or the stations imminent demise.
I know some people don't listen to straplines on stations or pay attention to them. One thing I can comment on, L107 is not the only station do it in the history of UK radio. I have heard many presenters on every station I have ever listened to make wild strapline claims about their station. So L107 is no different from any other station out there they have done it at one time or another either with a sweeper, jingle, or speech.
Old 25-01-2009, 04:21   #97
Black Label
Forum Member

Services: Tiscali broadband, DAB, Sky+
Quote:

L107 is now nothing more than a carbon copy of Q96 and as such it stands little chance of attracting the 12% that Clan achieved as those involved when at Q96 got nowhere near that reach back when there was not as strong competition from Real, Smooth and Galaxy.

From where I am sitting this reincarnation of L107 is nothing more than wallowing in Q96 nostalgia. It is clear that the bulk of the schedule is a 2009 version of the previous Q96 output (allbeit with a different local area in focus) and that bombed big time.
My own analysis is slightly different.

L107 is now co-owned by two latter-day Q96 employees and it is increasingly apparent that the door is open to most if not all who worked there at that time.

I imagine they are all really sore about how things turned out at Q with the sale to GMG and they may well have reason to be. I'll give you three reasons why.

Reason 1. Ironic as it may seem, Q was actually doing relatively well saleswise. OK a good deal of it was Image Plus type stuff and ok it did clutter up the schedule with 4 long ad breaks an hour, but at the end of the day commercial radio is just that, and unless you are number 1 or 2 in the market and can cherry-pick a smaller number of big spending clients like Arnold Clark then you have to get the money in somehow.

Latterly-and in many ways thanks to Alan Shields- Q's revenues were healthy while overheads were kept low due to enthusiasts willing to work for very little money yet together offering a full schedule.

Had Q96 been based in more modest accomodation and not had DAB carriage costs it would, in those 2003 and beyond years, have made profit, albeit a modest one.

Reason 2. Q's typical reach was 50-60k a week. OK there was a lot of give and take in that, largely due to the mathematical reality of small stations in large TSAs and therefore in more volatile 6 month survey (Talk 107 was another prime example of this as we saw). But 50-60k was ballpark over that era. These weren't bad numbers for what the end of the day was a small station faced with huge competition.

Reason 3. It is widely believed that it was the slump to 28k
reach is what prompted UTV to sell it. Of course this was just a blip from which the station bounced back, but by then it was too late.

Add in James Russell and John Manning who, for different reasons, have entirely justifiable reasons to be aggrieved about their previous departures from Clan FM and you have a mix of people who are incredibly driven to want to make L107 work this time around.

I wish them well in that regard.

Anyway, looking foreward to Thea!
Black Label is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 11:26   #98
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Quote:
Why dont you get a life and stop posting from the L107 studio PC when you're doing the night shift.
I've borrowed this from one of WJ post's

Just announced that the Late Night Love show is to be taken over by Thea Neukam from next week.

Your wrong on both count's .
Old 25-01-2009, 11:42   #99
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGaz View Post
Also note there's been an English girl on overnights week before last and sounded good.
Could this be you Sleeps old mate?

Quote:
Er... I think you've got that wrong Kew don't you?
Old 25-01-2009, 12:20   #100
OneF'inFalkirk
Inactive Member

Services: Snubbing the SNP Hokey Cokey & voting LibDem!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelo View Post
Having to buy your own station to get on air is what you deem as success?
OneF'inFalkirk is offline   Reply With Quote