You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Showbiz > does the press go to Katie or vice versa
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showbiz Discuss the latest showbiz and celebrity gossip here!

Old 01-11-2009, 20:52   #1
mumbles26
Forum Member

does the press go to Katie or vice versa

every day we read a new article about the tired old hag - today being that she has an aura about her.

How does this 'news' come to light, does her agent contact the press or are they random interviews with her?

I'm genuinely intrigued how all these stories reach our entertainment news
mumbles26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 21:46   #2
fredster
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles26 View Post
every day we read a new article about the tired old hag - today being that she has an aura about her.

How does this 'news' come to light, does her agent contact the press or are they random interviews with her?

I'm genuinely intrigued how all these stories reach our entertainment news
Good question, i don't know the answer. Someone will .
fredster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 21:53   #3
cazzz
Forum Member

she's probably got a type of batphone with a direct link to each editor of every redtop comic and mag.
cazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 22:07   #4
LittleChicken
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzz View Post
she's probably got a type of batphone with a direct link to each editor of every redtop comic and mag.
Would that be an Old Bat phone?

If she's got an aura around her, a psychic would probably tell her it's a dirty brown one which smells of a week old haddock - especially in view of last night's Halloween costume.
LittleChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04   #5
birdsong
Forum Member

She will have a publicist. She will have regular meetings with her publicist to discuss her PR strategy. Her publicist then feeds stories to the press as suits her. The media don't need to go looking for stories on celebs, it all comes to them. In some cases the piece is even written by the publicist and their team. This all costs a fortune of course which she will get from her book and sundry other work she gets as a result of her ensuing high profile.
birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13   #6
fitnessqueen
Forum Member

The aura story is as told to OK Magazine- I assume they phone her up once a week, she spouts off a load of crap and they print it under the usual "World Exclusive" headline....
fitnessqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:24   #7
sotek
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
She will have a publicist. She will have regular meetings with her publicist to discuss her PR strategy. Her publicist then feeds stories to the press as suits her. The media don't need to go looking for stories on celebs, it all comes to them. In some cases the piece is even written by the publicist and their team. This all costs a fortune of course which she will get from her book and sundry other work she gets as a result of her ensuing high profile.
Read Flat Earth News by Nick Davies which summarises the depressing state of 'journalism' now. Papers are so desperate to fill pages and have so few staff that articles are indeed often little different from the press releases submitted to them by PR representatives.

The papers and the appalling Jordan are basically parasites feeding on each other.
sotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:26   #8
darling
Forum Member

Services: Virgin
The story is taken from one of her answers to questions in an OK interview last week about Halloween. Who knows why it's surfacing here so late - or at all, honestly.
darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:48   #9
vidalia
Forum Member

Many of them are probably made up though. The documentary film Starsuckers which came out on Friday is about how the film makers phoned the 'Do you have a story?' number or diary desks of various tabloids with made up items and discovered most of them were used (and elaborated on) without any checking with agents etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...ax-celebrities
vidalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:20   #10
cynicalgal
Forum Member

Services: btopenworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalia View Post
Many of them are probably made up though. The documentary film Starsuckers which came out on Friday is about how the film makers phoned the 'Do you have a story?' number or diary desks of various tabloids with made up items and discovered most of them were used (and elaborated on) without any checking with agents etc.

What a fascinating link Vidalia, thank you!
cynicalgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:37   #11
i4u
Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with Chris it's extremely easy to get a load of tosh into the press, seems a great way to have some fun and earn some easy money.

I think some of the magazines conspire with certain agents to produce stories to their own financial advantage.

The Louis meets Max programme indicated what was going on re Simon Cowell and a 'girlfriend'. It's not only the tabloids, as the 'infamous' setup at Sainsbury's showed.

The worry is the 'celeb' attitude of the truth is unimportant as long as it's funny, is spreading over into the main news coverage.

As I said there's easy money to be made from the celeb pages and mags.....I suggest everyone can produce at least one funny made up story a week the media will buy.
i4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 14:44   #12
Alrightmate
Forum Member

Services: Bring 'Being Human' to Life!
Probably a little bit of both.

The press will probably want to fill a certain quota of trash celeb gossip, agents of the usual suspects will drop a 'story' or a 'world exclusive' into their lap, and they say that'll do.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 15:19   #13
ILoveMaxwell
Forum Member

Services: Maxwell Caulfield (I wish!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnessqueen View Post
The aura story is as told to OK Magazine- I assume they phone her up once a week, she spouts off a load of crap and they print it under the usual "World Exclusive" headline....
She goes into the OK offices once a week as she has a problem page in the magazine, it was on one of her ITV2 shows, the aura thing came out in her halloween photoshoot interview and she says that she has become more spiritual since meeting Alex lol
ILoveMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:25   #14
Mr Giggles
Forum Member

Services: Tiscali MAX - Sky + Courier service within the M25
I'm sure Krusty has OK! on speed-dial.
Mr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:38   #15
mumbles26
Forum Member

Quote:

but if the stories are made up, wouldn't we be hearing about more cases of slander and magazines being sued?
mumbles26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:43   #16
cynicalgal
Forum Member

Quote:
but if the stories are made up, wouldn't we be hearing about more cases of slander and magazines being sued?
That's what I've always wondered. You see a lot of 'a friend said' or 'someone close to ...' said, newspapers can't be that stupid, they must surely be aware of who their source is otherwise I could, you could, anyone could ring up and give a totally false story

Just read Max Clifford's biography, fascinating, during the Rebecca Loos and Antonia de Sanchez sagas, and many other stories he has either been directly involved in or advising in the background, he would speak directly to the client and report back to newspapers on the basis of 'a friend said'
Old 02-11-2009, 22:24   #17
vidalia
Forum Member

Quote:
Legal action is very costly and time consuming so is taken very rarely usually in extreme cases where someone's reputation is at risk, for example if they are accused of having an affair when there is a divorce case taking place, if they are accused of committing an offence etc rather than whether they fell asleep at a club or that they appeared to be drunk.

I'm sure it must be extremely annoying and frustrating to read total lies about yourself in the papers and people saying 'there's no smoke without fire' but it's probably best to ignore them and hope they go away rather than stirring it all up again and not having the media on your side.
vidalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:06   #18
i4u
Forum Member

Judge Eady made some rulings in the past 2 years that mean Celebs and others can use easily and cheaply use 'privacy' to obtain redress.

It also means it's now more likely the larger 'gossip' stories are a conspiracy between a publicist, their client, reporter and magazine.

I'm aware of one celeb who via Carter-Ruck used 'privacy' to get a story pulled and obtain an apology as it was all 'lies', the celeb also recieved over £10,000 in 'compensation'.

One to two months later the story that was said to have been 'lies' was sold by the celeb to a magazine.
Old Yesterday, 11:32   #19
i4u
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalgal View Post
That's what I've always wondered. You see a lot of 'a friend said' or 'someone close to ...' said, newspapers can't be that stupid, they must surely be aware of who their source is otherwise I could, you could, anyone could ring up and give a totally false story

Just read Max Clifford's biography, fascinating, during the Rebecca Loos and Antonia de Sanchez sagas, and many other stories he has either been directly involved in or advising in the background, he would speak directly to the client and report back to newspapers on the basis of 'a friend said'

Starsucker is showing the papers are that stupid.

Last year a paper called the Sun printed a story about a celeb, I told them the 'true' situation as I had extremely reliable sources.

The paper was extremely interested and prepared to pay...I gave them the 'real' story and the name of my source.

My source was.....a reporter working for the paper who'd written a report in the paper 2 months earlier that was at odds with what the paper was now reporting.

One or other of the stories had to be an unchecked pack of lies but that was glossed over by the paper as the celeb involved was good for buisness.
Old Yesterday, 15:36   #20
cynicalgal
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4u View Post
Starsucker is showing the papers are that stupid.

Last year a paper called the Sun printed a story about a celeb, I told them the 'true' situation as I had extremely reliable sources.

The paper was extremely interested and prepared to pay...I gave them the 'real' story and the name of my source.

My source was.....a reporter working for the paper who'd written a report in the paper 2 months earlier that was at odds with what the paper was now reporting.

One or other of the stories had to be an unchecked pack of lies but that was glossed over by the paper as the celeb involved was good for buisness.
That's fascinating and goes some way to explain why the courts aren't full of people issuing libel suits
Old Yesterday, 16:07   #21
Slojo
Forum Member

Quote:
Not unless it was something career threatening. The old saying all publicity is good publicity isn't far off the mark

Most celebs can live with good publicity and will put up with some negative publicity.

The one thing they can not live with or tolerate is NO publicity
Slojo is offline   Reply With Quote