You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Showbiz > Gore Vidal: 'Polanski victim was a hooker'
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showbiz Discuss the latest showbiz and celebrity gossip here!

Old 02-11-2009, 00:28   #27
lea_uk
Forum Member

Services: Sky internet, Sky+, Freeview, Nintendo Wii, PS2, Sony Ericsson k800i
Hooker or not (I don't believe she was) she was still a kid and therefore a victim.
lea_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46   #28
Ber
Forum Member

Services: Seacamite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties Assetts View Post
Witchunt are you serious, he raped a 13 yr old child get real will you, and how do we know the beast has not indulged in his sick desire for underage kids since he raped the girl.

Natassja Kinski was only 15 when she started a relationship with Polanski...
Ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:58   #29
DorisMorris
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJonB View Post
Sounds like old Gore. Do people still take any notice?
Unfortunately they seem to have here. Vile little man
DorisMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:48   #30
Berties Assetts
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber View Post
Natassja Kinski was only 15 when she started a relationship with Polanski...
I never knew that it proves the perverted beast has a lust for the underage then, Polanski is nothing but a sick beast who should just rot in a cell for his heinous acts against minors,
Berties Assetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:42   #31
frasera
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties Assetts View Post
I never knew that it proves the perverted beast has a lust for the underage then, Polanski is nothing but a sick beast who should just rot in a cell for his heinous acts against minors,
no not really, it just proves things are not as simplistically black and white as some would like it when applying the law. jonathan ross met his wife when she was a teen for instance and has been with her ever since. same with bo derek who was a teen when she met her husband who was 30 years older, she stayed with him till he died many years later. people are trying to stretch the definition of pedophile with this hysteria. like it or not teens are not the same as prepubescent children. the real predators who are dangerous target that group, not teenagers who frankly have aged past their sexual preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPig View Post
Even if the 13 year old was a hooker, she was still only 13, and what's more, Polanski pleaded guilty to the charge before he went on the run.
in the us sometimes you plead if the deal is good enough. the case was they gave him an acceptable deal and then tried to change it on him which is why he ran. like it or not there were serious problems with that trial.
frasera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:16   #32
Yewtree
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasera View Post
no not really, it just proves things are not as simplistically black and white as some would like it when applying the law. jonathan ross met his wife when she was a teen for instance and has been with her ever since. same with bo derek who was a teen when she met her husband who was 30 years older, she stayed with him till he died many years later. people are trying to stretch the definition of pedophile with this hysteria. like it or not teens are not the same as prepubescent children. the real predators who are dangerous target that group, not teenagers who frankly have aged past their sexual preferences.

in the us sometimes you plead if the deal is good enough. the case was they gave him an acceptable deal and then tried to change it on him which is why he ran. like it or not there were serious problems with that trial.
He ran because he didn't want to be locked up for a crime he committed.
Yewtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:57   #33
frasera
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewtree View Post
He ran because he didn't want to be locked up for a crime he committed.
no, actually according to the documentary he did agree to serve some time. he ran because the court was playing tricks. like it or not there was a bent judge in charge and it was a circus.
frasera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11   #34
Mrs Spratt
Forum Member

Quote:
teens are not the same as prepubescent children. the real predators who are dangerous target that group, not teenagers who frankly have aged past their sexual preferences.
In most countries the age of consent is above the age when people usually reach puberty because people are not deemed to fully understand the implications of a sexual relationship below that age. Eg risk of pregnancy, STDs, etc.

The age of consent in the UK was set in response to child prostitution, child prostitutes are clearly not choosing to be prostitutes so saying she was a prostitute does not excuse having sex with her let alone raping her.

Whether the victim has 'got over' a crime is immaterial, the law has still been broken.

I have dealt with victims of child abuse, it really affects people very profoundly. Perpetrators would like to believe that it's something people 'get over' but it is devastating.
Mrs Spratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37   #35
i4u
Forum Member

So is Gore Vidal saying it's ok to rape hookers?
i4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46   #36
ayrshireman
Forum Member

Gore Vidal.

Novelist, screenwriter, senile old fart.
ayrshireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49   #37
kimindex
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fortesque View Post
I cannot believe that these people who are defending Polanski think it is ok that an adult had sex with a 13 year old. No matter what the circumstances were. Makes you wonder where they would actually personally draw the line themselves. At least this has shown them up for the unpleasant people that they are and I hope many others have taken note too.
Completely agree wth you and others who've said the same. No moral compass at all with these people. I read an article recently in which Terry Gilliam defended him, too.
kimindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:21   #38
tauran_shammy
Forum Member

I find it odd that he accuses the media of being anti-semitic when everybody knows Jews run the media.
tauran_shammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27   #39
Ber
Forum Member

Quote:
no, actually according to the documentary he did agree to serve some time. he ran because the court was playing tricks. like it or not there was a bent judge in charge and it was a circus.
Oh, that was nice of him
Old Yesterday, 11:32   #40
vidalia
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauran_shammy View Post
I find it odd that he accuses the media of being anti-semitic when everybody knows Jews run the media.
In the US, the UK or globally?
vidalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:36   #41
Glaston
Forum Member

So 13 is child abuse to many on here.

Yet age of consent in Spain is 13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe

The whole situation should be about the flight from justice rather than all the retro visits of moral outrage to what happened years ago.
Glaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39   #42
Ber
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaston View Post
So 13 is child abuse to many on here.
When rape is involved, then yes.

The age of consent in Spain is irrelevant really as I believe that they have rules against raping someone regardless of how old they are?
Old Yesterday, 11:47   #43
tauran_shammy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalia View Post
In the US, the UK or globally?
In any "western influenced" countries. Obviously not Muslim nations or Asia.
Old Yesterday, 11:54   #44
Idiotgirle
Forum Member

Services: The Doctor... Doctor... Fun.
Okay, if we go with Vidal's accusation that she was a hooker, why was it necessary for Polanski to drug her with pills and alcohol in order to have sex with her? Why didn't Polanski use the fact that she was paid for her services in his defence 30 years ago? Because she wasn't paid... she was assaulted.

Another tiresome attempt to portray the rapist as the victim and a 13 year old girl as the sexual predator. Sick.
Idiotgirle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03   #45
tauran_shammy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotgirle View Post
Okay, if we go with Vidal's accusation that she was a hooker, why was it necessary for Polanski to drug her with pills and alcohol in order to have sex with her? Why didn't Polanski use the fact that she was paid for her services in his defence 30 years ago? Because she wasn't paid... she was assaulted.

Another tiresome attempt to portray the rapist as the victim and a 13 year old girl as the sexual predator. Sick.
Gotta agree with you there. This is just a case of someone wealthy and well connected not being able to escape from punishment for a crime they commited for a change.
Old Yesterday, 12:08   #46
vidalia
Forum Member

Quote:
In any "western influenced" countries. Obviously not Muslim nations or Asia.
What about News International?
Old Yesterday, 12:13   #47
tauran_shammy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalia View Post
What about News International?
I learnt my lesson last week by getting a temp ban for saying something that offended someone. Digital spy is not the place for a fair two sided debate on this kind of thing because theres always someone who presses the report button on the flimsiest excuse.
Sorry but I'm not getting drawn into this issue further.
Old Yesterday, 12:15   #48
vidalia
Forum Member

Quote:
I learnt my lesson last week by getting a temp ban for saying something that offended someone. Digital spy is not the place for a fair two sided debate on this kind of thing because theres always someone who presses the report button on the flimsiest excuse.
Sorry but I'm not getting drawn into this issue further.
Fair enough
Old Yesterday, 12:16   #49
tauran_shammy
Forum Member

If people want to do the research themselves regarding who owns and controls our media I say go ahead and draw your own conclusions.
Old Yesterday, 12:19   #50
vidalia
Forum Member

Quote:
If people want to do the research themselves regarding who owns and controls our media I say go ahead and draw your own conclusions.
Thank you for that helpful information.