You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Showbiz > The Stephen Gately Condolences and appreciation thread
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showbiz Discuss the latest showbiz and celebrity gossip here!

Old 16-10-2009, 23:23   #26
Face Of Jack
Forum Member

Services: TalkTalk
I'm 49 - and have always loved Stephen and Boyzone!
I'm so sorry he has gone from us.
Bless him, and his family and friends,
Love Steve, xxx
Face Of Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 23:25   #27
fitzii
Forum Member

Not a fan, never was, too busy being cool indie kid at the time, but Ronan, Shane, Keith and Mikey have done their friend and brother proud, i know from experience organising a funeral is heartbreaking and anyone who steps up and holds your hand to help is a godsend what they are doing and have done in the last week for stephen and his partner and family will never be forgotten by them.

Rest in peace Stephen

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
fitzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 23:34   #28
Joy2286
Forum Member

Sitting here as a 23 year old supposedly grown up young woman I still remember to this day the first time I ever saw Boyzone- as a small 8 year old little girl. It was their first UK TV appearance on Live & Kicking promoting "Love Me For A Reason". I still remember seeing Stephen's warm, friendly, smiling face and instantly thinking he was absolutely gorgeous and that he was my "favourite" within minutes of them beginning to sing.

A few weeks later a certain Mr Keating took Stephen's place as my "favourite" and has remained there since but my huge soft spot for Stephen remains to this day. Such a caring, genuine, kind guy who wouldn't hurt a fly. I have so many happy memories of watching and following the Boyz over the years and reading about them in magazines. As a child and into my mid teens when they split up their posters covered my bedroom walls.

Unfortunately I was too young to really see them live the first time round and only got to see them in concert once but that night was one of the best nights of my life. I absolutely loved every minute. I was also too young to really appreciate a live performance- I was too busy screaming my head off trying to get them to notice me and wave at me 20 odd rows up in the tiers half way back down the NEC!

When I found out the Boyz were reuniting in 2007 I just knew I had to get tickets and was lucky enough to get 2nd row to see them in Sheffield. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever enjoyed and appreciated a concert as much as I did that one. To see the Boyz all back together again, looking better than ever and enjoying themselves so much was just fantastic. I got goosebumps hearing them do all their hits I'd loved as a little girl but one of the standout solo moments for me was Stephen's performance of "Bright Eyes"- he was born to be on that stage and his voice was phenomenal. I remember turning to my friend afterwards and just going "WOW!" I loved the show so much I even tried to get a ticket to go again by myself the next night but they were sold out.

When I heard they were touring again this year I just had to get tickets again and was lucky enough to get 2nd row again at Sheffield. I then persuaded my Dad to go and see them at the NIA with me as I knew I wouldn't be able to go just the once. Once again I had such an amazing time and dear Stephen's performance of "Single Ladies"was one of the standout moments. At that point I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anyone enjoy being up on stage as much as Stephen did. He absolutely loved it. I also noticed the closeness the Boyz had got back. I still have this abiding memory of Ronan going over to Stephen at one point and putting his arm round his shoulders and the pair of them looking at the crowd and grinning at each other. The others were all so protective of him and he was like a little brother to them the way they have been describing.

When I heard the news of Stephen's tragic death last week my body went into total shock- I literally couldn't stop shaking for a good half an hour. I couldn't fathom how someone who I had seen so healthy and full of life just months before could be dead and gone just like that- particularly someone who had had such a profound influence on my life. My main thoughts were for Andrew, Stephen's family and the other Boyz knowing how close they all were. The way the lads have conducted themselves this week has made me prouder than ever to call myself a Boyzone fan and I hope that someday they will be able to come to terms with this tragic loss. I have chosen to ignore the majority of the comments in the press this week because I am so grateful for the memories Stephen has left me with that I am not going to let anyone or anything tarnish them. Stephen was a wonderful person to me and that is how I will remember him- up on that stage and singing the songs he loved to sing and I loved to hear.

RIP Stephen. Thank you for the memories you have left me with- you will never know how much you mean to me. Heaven has gained an angel and they are lucky to have you. You may be gone in body but your soul and spirit will live on in the music and the memories you have left your family, friends and fans with. I love you and will miss you always- Joy x
Joy2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 23:38   #29
wildhollie
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2286 View Post
Sitting here as a 23 year old supposedly grown up young woman I still remember to this day the first time I ever saw Boyzone- as a small 8 year old little girl. It was their first UK TV appearance on Live & Kicking promoting "Love Me For A Reason". I still remember seeing Stephen's warm, friendly, smiling face and instantly thinking he was absolutely gorgeous and that he was my "favourite" within minutes of them beginning to sing.

A few weeks later a certain Mr Keating took Stephen's place as my "favourite" and has remained there since but my huge soft spot for Stephen remains to this day. Such a caring, genuine, kind guy who wouldn't hurt a fly. I have so many happy memories of watching and following the Boyz over the years and reading about them in magazines. As a child and into my mid teens when they split up their posters covered my bedroom walls.

Unfortunately I was too young to really see them live the first time round and only got to see them in concert once but that night was one of the best nights of my life. I absolutely loved every minute. I was also too young to really appreciate a live performance- I was too busy screaming my head off trying to get them to notice me and wave at me 20 odd rows up in the tiers half way back down the NEC!

When I found out the Boyz were reuniting in 2007 I just knew I had to get tickets and was lucky enough to get 2nd row to see them in Sheffield. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever enjoyed and appreciated a concert as much as I did that one. To see the Boyz all back together again, looking better than ever and enjoying themselves so much was just fantastic. I got goosebumps hearing them do all their hits I'd loved as a little girl but one of the standout solo moments for me was Stephen's performance of "Bright Eyes"- he was born to be on that stage and his voice was phenomenal. I remember turning to my friend afterwards and just going "WOW!" I loved the show so much I even tried to get a ticket to go again by myself the next night but they were sold out.

When I heard they were touring again this year I just had to get tickets again and was lucky enough to get 2nd row again at Sheffield. I then persuaded my Dad to go and see them at the NIA with me as I knew I wouldn't be able to go just the once. Once again I had such an amazing time and dear Stephen's performance of "Single Ladies"was one of the standout moments. At that point I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anyone enjoy being up on stage as much as Stephen did. He absolutely loved it. I also noticed the closeness the Boyz had got back. I still have this abiding memory of Ronan going over to Stephen at one point and putting his arm round his shoulders and the pair of them looking at the crowd and grinning at each other. The others were all so protective of him and he was like a little brother to them the way they have been describing.

When I heard the news of Stephen's tragic death last week my body went into total shock- I literally couldn't stop shaking for a good half an hour. I couldn't fathom how someone who I had seen so healthy and full of life just months before could be dead and gone just like that- particularly someone who had had such a profound influence on my life. My main thoughts were for Andrew, Stephen's family and the other Boyz knowing how close they all were. The way the lads have conducted themselves this week has made me prouder than ever to call myself a Boyzone fan and I hope that someday they will be able to come to terms with this tragic loss. I have chosen to ignore the majority of the comments in the press this week because I am so grateful for the memories Stephen has left me with that I am not going to let anyone or anything tarnish them. Stephen was a wonderful person to me and that is how I will remember him- up on that stage and singing the songs he loved to sing and I loved to hear.

RIP Stephen. Thank you for the memories you have left me with- you will never know how much you mean to me. Heaven has gained an angel and they are lucky to have you. You may be gone in body but your soul and spirit will live on in the music and the memories you have left your family, friends and fans with. I love you and will miss you always- Joy x

What a beautiful post
wildhollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 00:22   #30
louloubelle1978
Forum Member

Services: Virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy2286 View Post

Absolutely beautiful post x
louloubelle1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 00:29   #31
SuperSpurs
Forum Member

Services: Sky+, Blueyonder
Rest In Peace Stephen.

Thank you for all the memories your music bought to me when I was a teenager. Through all the happy and sad times, and the usual angst, the exams, the first crushes. Actually, my first crush was on Ronan but my best friend adored you, and we couldn't both marry the same guy could we You were so brave coming out when you did, I'm sure an inspiration to many in your position then and since.

My thoughts with Stephen's husband, family, friends, and his Boyz.

"May angels lead you in."

xx
SuperSpurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 01:04   #32
Lalabinks
Forum Member

I wasn't a big fan of Boyzone but I was shocked to hear of Stephen's death. When I saw him he always came across as a really likeable person (someone I know even described him as ethereal). RIP Stephen.
Lalabinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 01:55   #33
Doogieboogie
Forum Member

Services: myself once a year
I'd just like to say....

I wasn't a Boyzone fan, but I am extremely proud of the way the remaining band members have conducted themselves this week. They've done themselves, Stephen and Ireland proud.

I think Stephen was a sweet and talented young man. It was incredibly brave of him to come out, given that (at the time) being gay was thought of as career suicide for a boybander. I also think that Boyzone were very forward-thinking in their approach - the video for Better is the first music video, I think, to demonstrate affection between a same-sex couple in a non-sensationalist manner, and it is very sensitively done.

Rest in Peace, Stephen - you were much loved, as is being demonstrated by so many in your community in Dublin and your many fans right at this moment.
Doogieboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 02:43   #34
cute chick
Forum Member

Services: Sky, LLU Broadband, Danyl & Leon appreciation threads
I was so shocked and sad when the news was announced about Stephen's passing. I always remember him as a happy, smiling young man with a caring nature and a zest for life. He was well-loved by many people.

I'd like to send my condolences to Stephen's family, partner, and his close friends - particularly the lads from Boyzone, who loved him like a brother.

Rest in peace, Stephen xxxxxx
cute chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 08:44   #35
louloubelle1978
Forum Member

Funeral coverage to begin on sky at 10am.

How are those that did the vigil?
Old 17-10-2009, 09:10   #36
Joy2286
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhollie View Post
What a beautiful post
Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle1978 View Post
Absolutely beautiful post x
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle1978 View Post
Funeral coverage to begin on sky at 10am.

How are those that did the vigil?
Didn't do the full vigil but stayed up till about half 1. Have got Sky news on and will be tuned in for the rest of the morning. They've just been in the crowds and the girl they spoke to did us fans proud- she spoke for all of us. Makes me wish I could be there in Dublin
Old 17-10-2009, 09:22   #37
louloubelle1978
Forum Member

Hi Joy, I was up until about 1:30 too.

Made sure I was up early enough for the coverage. I also wish I could be there too. The next time I am in Dublin (I'm there at least twice a year) I will go and light a candle for Stephen at the church the funeral is taking place.

Stephen, Ronan, Shane, Keith and Mikey have always been lovely to fans, and it's for the world to see now albeit in the most saddest of circumstances
Old 17-10-2009, 09:30   #38
Agent Krycek
Forum Member

Services: Whatever David or Jake require
I was never a fan, but Stephen always came across as a completely decent and extremely likeable young man. It's utterly heartbreaking he's gone at such a young age - RIP Stephen and my thoughts are with your loved ones.
Agent Krycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 09:34   #39
Joy2286
Forum Member

Morning Lou

I have to agree with you. Like I said in my previous post- the way the boyz have conducted themselves this week makes me so proud to call myself a Boyzone fan. The fact that they have even found the strength to get on Twitter and keep us updated is nothing short of commendable. It is so nice to finally see the world getting to see what the fans have seen all along- a group of ordinary guys who have just been doing something they love and it is truly heartbreaking to think that a fifth of that has been taken away so suddenly.

Two of the band's musicians on Sky now
Old 17-10-2009, 09:44   #40
*AJ*
Forum Member

I remember the day Stephen came out...I cried and hit the picture in the paper,I was convinced I was going to marry him(was only 9/10 at the time) so was heartbroken,soon forgave him though...how could you not!

Anyway fast forward to the reunion tour and I remember one of my best friends who I met through being a Westlife fan said that it was her dream to be front row at a Boyzone concert on her birthday,as luck would have it Boyzone did a concert on her birthday and we did get front row tickets..I was shaking when I got offered them on the phone! We managed to meet Stephen and the rest of the Boyz as well and each and everyone of them were just lovely.

My favourite memory of Stephen has to be though on Boyzones latest tour,he did a solo spot and sang Single Ladies by Beyonce...complete with dance routine...I don't think ii have ever laughed so much in my life...it was just hilarious and he was having a blast doing it!

R.I.P Steo,your home now,keep bouncing our duracell bunny <3

AJxx
*AJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 09:49   #41
maggiebash
Forum Member

Services: past it!
R.I.P. Stephen, you were always the baby of the boyzone, the cute one with the lovely smile.
maggiebash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 09:51   #42
Kaos
Forum Member

Services: Still Cheering on Mirko even if he's a fool!
Some lovely posts on here.

I've always been a Boyzone fan and even though Mickey is my favourite always had a soft spot for all the boys especially Stephen. I remember always wanting the new Boyzone calenders and easter eggs.

I was so sad to hear about Stephens death he was just way too young. He was such a strong and beautiful man and was so kind. Taken way too soon.

My thoughts are with his whole family and the rest of the boyz. And the way that the other boyz have acted in this situation is so truely lovely, the whole group of them are gentlemen and you can see how much they really loved Stephen. On first looks I might not look the kind of person who would be a Boyzone fan but right now I'm a very proud Boyzone fan.

Rest in peace Stephen I hope your in a happy place now.
Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 09:55   #43
maggiebash
Forum Member

Services: past it!
I remember watching Stephen with the rest of Boyzone on Most Haunted, he was like a wee scared rabbit, the rest of Boyzone all at some point had their arms around him, they more like his 'daddies' than his 'brothers', it was so sweet. My heart really goes out to Stephens Family, including the Boyz and Andrew who were also his famiy. I will be thinking of them today. Bless them all.
maggiebash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 09:55   #44
T2WIN
Forum Member

Services: BT, freeview
I was proud to donate in your name to your. I hope in the future, Andrew, your boothers and all your family will get some comfort by the good you are still managing to do.

Rest in peace in the arms of the Angels, Stephen.
T2WIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:13   #45
Glitter03
Forum Member

Services: Sky+, BT Broadband
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
Some lovely posts on here.

I've always been a Boyzone fan and even though Mickey is my favourite always had a soft spot for all the boys especially Stephen. I remember always wanting the new Boyzone calenders and easter eggs.

I was so sad to hear about Stephens death he was just way too young. He was such a strong and beautiful man and was so kind. Taken way too soon.

My thoughts are with his whole family and the rest of the boyz. And the way that the other boyz have acted in this situation is so truely lovely, the whole group of them are gentlemen and you can see how much they really loved Stephen. On first looks I might not look the kind of person who would be a Boyzone fan but right now I'm a very proud Boyzone fan.

Rest in peace Stephen I hope your in a happy place now.
OMG your post made me giggle because i had the BZ easter egg too!

I have been a fan since i was about 7/8yrs old and i am now 24. My life was all about Boyzone from an early age, i bought everything BZ related.

I have been to see them so many times over the years both as a group and them doing their individual projects too. My partner took me too Stephen in Godspell a few years back for the lunchtime performance and we were just going into the theatre and i noticed a big poster saying 'Stephen Gately will not be appearing in this performance....'

I was devastated and just said 'well i dont want to watch it then'. Thankfully the manager of the theatre managed to swap my tickets for the evening performance which meant we had to go back home, hastily organise new childcare arrangements and then return to Manchester.

It was so worth it tho, his voice sounded amazing and he was truely no happier than when he was on stage.

When i heard Boyzone were reuniting for Children In Need i was soooo happy i thought i was going to burst. Then when they came on stage i was squealing and doing all the dance routines with them. You could tell how excited and appreciative Stephen was to have this second chance. This shone through to the live shows on their tours.

I am so lucky to have seen them a few times on each tour. I feel truely priviliged to have seen them perform together so many times.

Watching the news when i see the Boyz carrying the coffin, reading a statement etc it does not seem real. It keeps hitting me that hes died but it does not seem real at all.

Next year, when all the hype has died down, i intend to go over to Ireland to place some flowes on his grave, pay my respects and speak to him one last time.

RIP Stephen, thankyou for so many amazing memories. You will always be loved. Our shooting star xxx
Glitter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:15   #46
LittleChicken
Forum Member

deleted -wrong thread.
LittleChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:16   #47
mia75
Forum Member

Services: Obsessive Twihard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogieboogie View Post
I'd just like to say....

I wasn't a Boyzone fan, but I am extremely proud of the way the remaining band members have conducted themselves this week. They've done themselves, Stephen and Ireland proud.

I agree with this. They're all a lovely bunch of lads
mia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:19   #48
louloubelle1978
Forum Member

Just wanted to post this link for the official Boyzone website forum page.
http://boyzone.forums.umusic.co.uk/p...527.aspx#33527

There is a book of condolences there, and I have posted a link to here for them to add our thoughts and condolences to it for Stephens family and firends.

It is here if any would like to visit. You will have to fill in a short registration form.
Old 17-10-2009, 10:20   #49
ValLambert
Forum Member

I wasn't a Boyzone fan but I'm sitting here watching Sky news with a little tear in my eye. The pictures of Stephen make him look so young and there is an air of vulnerability about him. It's sad he died so young. My condolences to his family and the fans that mourn him.

A great gesture from the rest of the boys in the band, true friends indeed.
ValLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:21   #50
Muttley76
Forum Member

Services: Coffee-on-tap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia75 View Post
I agree with this. They're all a lovely bunch of lads
I think their quiet dignity this week has been commendable.
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote