You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Showbiz > Spice Girls to open the London Olympics, possibly tour in 2012
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showbiz Discuss the latest showbiz and celebrity gossip here!

Old 01-11-2009, 15:34   #26
Rooftopcowboy
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby Rose View Post
Oh dear god, no. Please, no.

How mortifyingly embarrassing. May aswell stick Price and Katona in there too. Jeez...
we need Price and Andre back together for their breathtaking rendition of 'whole new world'
Rooftopcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:45   #27
Meoqui
Forum Member

Spice Girls opening 2012 Olympics? Please dear gawd noooooooooo. Our pathetic showing at the closing ceremony was pure embaressment. That might actually be worse!!
The one thing Britain has over any country is pomp and ceremony. We have all the pomp and ceremony many countries can only dream of. Why can't we just use all that for once? Drag out the gold coronation coach, all the horses with their full gear on etc etc and all the full on laady daady old fashioned stuff we have. It's our only good bet. We cannot compete with Bejings "thing" they did on the same lines but darn could we pull of a serious proper pomp and ceremony thing. Put thousands and thousands of orchestra round the entire rim and turn on the pomp in the centre.
It's what we do best. No doubt the dozey government will play all the "oh that's incorrect, we can't show our history, jolly well no" "I know ...we'll try and be trendy" GROANNNN we do NOT do trendy!! We mess it UP!!!
Meoqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:54   #28
Mr Giggles
Forum Member

Services: Tiscali MAX - Sky + Courier service within the M25
I can't see this actually happening, just a rumour and the spice girl fans on Denden are very skeptical this could happen.
Mr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:07   #29
ItsBritneyBitch
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftopcowboy View Post
our worldwide known acts that are still living I'd say are

Paul McCartney
Tom Jones
Coldplay
Led Zeppelin
The Spice Girls
Robbie Williams
Leona Lewis
Elton John
Queen (with new frontman needed)
David Bowie

to be honest I'm struggling to think of many more who are known worldwide and still able to perform.
Sting
Phil Collins
George Michael
Fleetwood Mac (3 founding members anyway)
Dido
Aimee Winehouse
There are even UK acts that aren't famous in the UK but are huge in other places.
My friend who is Italian says 'Bat for Lashes' is huge in Italy and in her own country (the UK) no one has ever really heard of her.
ItsBritneyBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:09   #30
hotpotato
Forum Member

I can quite believe them in the opening or closing ceremony doing a three minute slot, but as usual DS gets the wrong end of the stick and goes with it
hotpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 21:15   #31
mounty
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBritneyBitch View Post
Sting
Phil Collins
George Michael
Fleetwood Mac (3 founding members anyway)
Dido
Aimee Winehouse
There are even UK acts that aren't famous in the UK but are huge in other places.
My friend who is Italian says 'Bat for Lashes' is huge in Italy and in her own country (the UK) no one has ever really heard of her.
aimee?? She don't just spell it how it sounds you know!
mounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 00:49   #32
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby Rose View Post
Oh dear god, no. Please, no.

How mortifyingly embarrassing. May aswell stick Price and Katona in there too. Jeez...
I think the Spice Girls are a cut above that! They may not be to your test, but they aren't sociopathic lunatics nor are they drug-addled sad acts.

I'd prefer the London Olympics not to be happening, but if they must, then I'd be perfectly happy with the Spice Girls playing at the Opening Ceremony.
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:12   #33
SheepdogNo1
Forum Member

Services: Matinee idol , dont do much in the evening either
Might as well wheel out Bob The Builder, the Tellytubbies & Iggle Piggle / Uppsy Daisy & the Ninky Nonk if the Spice Girls appear & make it a proper under 5's event

Every other nation celebrates what they are good at & here we seem to think that 5 non entities who cant sing for toffee is the way forward. Cant we think of anything other than pop music? From a nation that gave the world most things of note , we seem stuck with two bit pop stars.

I can see the opening night ceremony performance being reduced to having a reality TV contest a la X Factor / BGT to find someone to perform.

SheepdogNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28   #34
dgjbear
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn758 View Post
Pretty dispiriting, we just had a celebration of 3000 years of Chinese history, our opening ceremony will be an edition of Top Of The Pops.
Am I the only one who thought the opening of the Beijing ceremony was incredibly boring????
dgjbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33   #35
Rose Petals
Forum Member

Services: Simon C, Howard D, MJ, Boy G, Pete A, Robert C
We've got to be able to do better than the Spice Girls. They were a huge phenomenom when they first came out but they only lasted a couple of years. We have so many more acts who are true global icons, icons with musical integrity too, those um girls just do not cut the mustard.
Rose Petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41   #36
Sloopy
Forum Member

The Spice Girls aren't even relevant artists anymore.

Back in the 1990s the fact they weren't great singers or the best looking, etc. didn't matter so much because they were young and so were their fans; they were essentially a novelty act for the kids.

Re-inventing them into a more mature outfit hasn't worked. I just don't think they're seen as truly 'big names' anymore.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:36   #37
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepdogNo1 View Post
5 non entities who cant sing for toffee
Mel C sings very well, and most of them can sing at least reasonably.
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:50   #38
Liisa
Forum Member

Why does Leona keep getting mentioned? She's good but hardly comparable to the likes of the others listed...?
Liisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:56   #39
Triple-P
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisa View Post
Why does Leona keep getting mentioned? She's good but hardly comparable to the likes of the others listed...?
shes popular in america and can sing.
Triple-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:20   #40
Liisa
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-P View Post
and can sing.
Lol
Liisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:17   #41
mounty
Forum Member

Surely we can do better than the Spice girls or some 'stars in their eyes' winner!

I think the Mounty approved opening ceremony would involve Ozzy and Lemmy performing a duet of Hellraiser, followed by the Who beating up Fat Boy Slim. Instant success!
mounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:17   #42
stairway
Forum Member

Spice Girls to open the London Olympics, possibly tour in 2012

Selling hot dogs?.........
stairway is offline   Reply With Quote