You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Showbiz > The Stephen Gately Condolences and appreciation thread
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Showbiz Discuss the latest showbiz and celebrity gossip here!

Old 01-11-2009, 19:54   #576
skn06
Forum Member

Watched the interview earlier....was so sad..they still seem pretty broken up about the whole thing which is to be expected...

I thought they dealt with the interview very well as it probably very difficult to do especially so soon..it was just so sad to see just the four of them there and know that it will never be the same again without Stephen It was clear to see aswell how much they adored him and the bond they all had..

I am not surprised they have decided to do the album especially since Stephen was so excited about it and had recorded some vocals, it would have been a complete shame for them never to release it...

I suppose we dont know how long they will continue on, they probably dont even know that themselves, but I'd be very surprised if they ever toured again....
skn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 21:29   #577
Muttley76
Forum Member

Services: Coffee-on-tap
I don't have a link for it, but i was reading elsewhere that The Telegraph is reporting that the London memorial is going to be on the 29th November. Nothing confirmed officially though.
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 22:20   #578
chaznee
Forum Member

I watched the interview earlier and thought they looked completely shell shocked, but you can tell they're gaining strength from being together.
Ronan looks like he has aged 10 years in 3 weeks, Keith really did sound as though his world had fallen apart, Mikey, as he was speaking, seemed to be still trying to find answers to it all, and I was genuinely concerned for poor Shane, who seems to be afraid of letting go completely, which must be so bl00dy difficult for him
If they want to do a memorial that's great, but I don't think they should push themselves, personally - I think getting the album out would be the biggest gift they could give Stephen.

They seem such lovely guys, all of them.
chaznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 22:23   #579
shannisfan
Forum Member

Services: Tiscali
Just seen the sky news interview was in tears the whole way through.

And Shane just had the look of devastation at one point.

Really hope they all find the strength to pull through. I wish i could go and hug them all and say its all ok.

They are true geniune gents and i hope they find solice soon.

Nic x
shannisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 22:51   #580
Joy2286
Forum Member

Hi guys

Hope everyone's doing ok.

Seen the interview. I really don't know what to say- their honesty and frankness is just so refreshing. It's great to see that they are drawing strength from each other and I hope with time they will get through this. You can tell the emotion is still so very raw and the fact that they have been able to sit down and talk like this so soon is nothing short of commendable. They are a real inspiration to everyone. Poor Shane- this has really floored him. Out of all the lads he was the one I felt for the most. Keith too seemed really upset.

I think it's lovely that they're going to try and do the album and along with his book those are the biggest tributes they could leave him. I just hope they take their time over these things though and don't rush them until they are ready.

Thanks for the info on the memorial Muttley. Hopefully I'll be able to get there and there will be more detailed and official information soon.
Joy2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41   #581
fitzii
Forum Member

i think they needed this interview, i can't explain why without getting personal, but talking and saying out loud everything you feel to someone else outside of that close circle of family/friends who are in the same dark place you are at that time helps, ok for them its a sky news interview because people are interested too, there was nothing in this interview that i didn't relate, from just simply wanting the best send off for your loved one to the humour that just happens when you remember them, to shane's holding it all in and not wanting to speak cos he felt he couldn't hold it together, shane's the one they need to look after now cos holding it in hurts.....sorry i'm rambling...

i'm never going to be a boyzone band fan but i respect them as men for what they did for stephen, his husband and his family that is true friendship

as for the answer to the press/media question they handled it well, no need to feed that animal anymore as it thrives on attention so here is where less is more.

Rest in peace Stephen
fitzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04   #582
Sara Webb
Forum Member

I haven't seen the interview, it sounds like hard viewing.
Sara Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:35   #583
chaznee
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzii View Post
i think they needed this interview, i can't explain why without getting personal, but talking and saying out loud everything you feel to someone else outside of that close circle of family/friends who are in the same dark place you are at that time helps, ok for them its a sky news interview because people are interested too, there was nothing in this interview that i didn't relate, from just simply wanting the best send off for your loved one to the humour that just happens when you remember them, to shane's holding it all in and not wanting to speak cos he felt he couldn't hold it together, shane's the one they need to look after now cos holding it in hurts.....sorry i'm rambling...
No you're not rambling - I know where you're coming from and I agree with you...this felt more like them just being ready to talk about it all.
Some are more ready than others - I still think Shane is in quite a bad place - but sometimes in times like these you find yourself wanting to talk non stop about the person you lost to anyone who will listen.
It wasn't as hard to watch as I thought it would be. They were so dignified and I loved Keith at the end when he kept emphasising that it was all about Stephen Gately - in other words it was about him, not them.
Now I'm rambling, but I've found these guys really touching and I feel that in the end, they were probably more like family to Stephen than anyone else was, judging by how well they knew him.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02   #584
chaznee
Forum Member

I've just read that it seems likely that Stephen didn't make a will.
Hardly surprising reallly - he was only 33, and probably thought he had all the time in the world
Old 02-11-2009, 14:15   #585
Muttley76
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznee View Post
I've just read that it seems likely that Stephen didn't make a will.
Hardly surprising reallly - he was only 33, and probably thought he had all the time in the world
these are the same papers who a week ago claimed to know how much he had in his will and who he was leaving it too...take it all with a pinch of salt till they actually use names instead of sources...
Old 02-11-2009, 14:23   #586
chaznee
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley76 View Post
these are the same papers who a week ago claimed to know how much he had in his will and who he was leaving it too...take it all with a pinch of salt till they actually use names instead of sources...
True...the stories change day by day.
Sky News website have a gallery of the boys' last photoshoot together - some really nice images there - Stephen really was looking good, like the guys said yesterday.
Old 02-11-2009, 16:26   #587
Gabriella
Forum Member

Services: BT Broadband/ VirginMobile
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vid...erview_In_Full

Interview in full-40 mins in all, it stops to buffer now and again, just press pause and play now and again. My heart goes out to the guys, Shane can't seem to say much before having to stop. I know some asked why he didn't do a bit of the speech, he says in all honesty he wouldn't be able do it and wanted just to there for the rest of the band. There are some laughs too.

Many commenting on Sky that this is all a money-spinner, I take it not one of them saw the interview in full The first since Stephen died 3 weeks ago. Are they never to mention him again? A man they all knew half of their lives.
Gabriella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 16:32   #588
Gabriella
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannisfan View Post
Just seen the sky news interview was in tears the whole way through.

And Shane just had the look of devastation at one point.
I know what you mean, Mikey and Ronan took control. Nice to see they have each other. I find some days some are strong while others have a bad day, it does work well when supporting one another.
Old 02-11-2009, 16:38   #589
Gabriella
Forum Member

Quote:
I've got to be honest here and say I don't see why they need to do this
I'm sorry if that sounds critical - I don't mean to be, and I know that we can't have any idea of what's going on behind the scenes, as it were, but they're just going to be subjected to a line of questioning probably designed to get one or two of them to shed a tear to make for a better TV moment.
Plus, I don't want them to be probed about all the nasty stuff like the Jan Moir article - how can they possibly say on TV what they must really feel about that, and why should they be forced to defend Stephen's memory.
This must make me seem a bit weird, but I just think it's a bad idea
I disagree, why not talk of Stephen? Its been 3 weeks, they wanted to thank the fans and others for support. When is the right time to talk of Stephen? Is there ever? The questions were okay, the Jan M article did come up but it seems they know how papers are and ignored it- that is all it's worth really.
Old 02-11-2009, 16:39   #590
Gabriella
Forum Member

Quote:
True...the stories change day by day.
Sky News website have a gallery of the boys' last photoshoot together - some really nice images there - Stephen really was looking good, like the guys said yesterday.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sho..._Ray_Burmiston
Old 02-11-2009, 17:03   #591
chaznee
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella View Post
I disagree, why not talk of Stephen? Its been 3 weeks, they wanted to thank the fans and others for support. When is the right time to talk of Stephen? Is there ever? The questions were okay, the Jan M article did come up but it seems they know how papers are and ignored it- that is all it's worth really.
No, you are right.
I posted that comment before the interview was aired, and it had a completely different tone to what I expected - as I've since posted.
Also, full respect to the guy that interviewed them - I can't remember his name but he was very respectful, as he was in the run up to, and coverage of, the funeral.

If people are honestly saying this is a money spinner then they must think these guys' acting is worthy of an oscar....I really think making money off the back of Stephen's death is the last thing on their minds.
Old 02-11-2009, 17:19   #592
Muttley76
Forum Member

Quote:

Many commenting on Sky that this is all a money-spinner, I take it not one of them saw the interview in full The first since Stephen died 3 weeks ago. Are they never to mention him again? A man they all knew half of their lives.
it's better to ignore them, because clearly they didn't watch the interview, hence their comments make no sense...for example the 'just in time for xmas' comments clearly suggests the buffoons think the album will be out any day now.
Old 02-11-2009, 19:06   #593
vidalia
Forum Member

Quote:
No, you are right.
I posted that comment before the interview was aired, and it had a completely different tone to what I expected - as I've since posted.
Also, full respect to the guy that interviewed them - I can't remember his name but he was very respectful, as he was in the run up to, and coverage of, the funeral.

If people are honestly saying this is a money spinner then they must think these guys' acting is worthy of an oscar....I really think making money off the back of Stephen's death is the last thing on their minds.
The interviewer was Enda Brady, Sky's Dublin correspondent.
vidalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:04   #594
ShabbyPrincess
Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Off to watch it now.
ShabbyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 21:06   #595
alilinzee
Forum Member

Services: Sky+, Wanadoo,Jostling by appointment only
Wow...just watched the interview from Sky......got misty-eyed a few times and then when Shane had to stop talking and Mikey had to put his arm round him.....lost it a bit...still so sad....RIP sweet "Steo".....you're missed and loved...x
alilinzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:23   #596
chaznee
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalia View Post
The interviewer was Enda Brady, Sky's Dublin correspondent.
Thank you. Sorry I couldn't recall his name - I'm sure, when Shane got upset I heard him say something like "It's ok - don't go on"
He was very careful in the way he spoke to them and wasn't going for tears, like some interviewers would.
Old Yesterday, 03:54   #597
Sara Webb
Forum Member

I just watched the entire Sky interview on YouTube. It was very touching, I was in tears at one point. It's clear how much the boyz genuinely loved Steo. RIP.
Sara Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32   #598
ShabbyPrincess
Forum Member

Very emotional interview and you have to hand it to the interviewer for not being pushy and just going with the flow. I did shed a few tears myself and I still can't believe Stephen's gone!
ShabbyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44   #599
Joy2286
Forum Member

See Ronan has now tweeted thanking us for our support. Can't get over them still taking time out to let us know how they are. Just makes me even prouder to call myself a fan. They should be proud of themselves as I'm sure Steo is.
Joy2286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29   #600
chaznee
Forum Member

It struck me how they were obviously worried about the reaction Stephen's funeral would get.
They kept saying they wanted him to be treated with respect and didn't understand at first why people were clapping..that it was for good reasons
How awful if in the midst of all their grief they were scared people might be abusive or whatever.
Then Keith made the remark about how Stephen would be watching the crowds and saying "you didn't do this when I was alive!" and that Keith was so proud of him
It made me think that Stephen must have had a fair bit of abuse thrown at him when he was younger, so I'm so glad he found happiness before he died.