You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Music > Is 'The X Factor' Killing Music? Is It Time To Axe The Show?
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music The place to talk about artists, records and gigs.

Old 02-11-2009, 19:19   #1
miles19740
Forum Member

Is 'The X Factor' Killing Music? Is It Time To Axe The Show?

I say, definately. I am sick and tired of the annual karaoke sing-a-thon churning out non-personalities each year. It is the same old, same old, year after year. I think it is stiffling the music scene and hijacking the charts, especially at Christmas. The Christmas chart used to be exciting, not anymore. Everyone knows the X Factor will be number one, regardless of what the winner sings. What's happened to musicians/singers working the clubs and building a fan base naturally rather than relying on the dirge that is the X Factor?

For goodness sake, stop feeding this inane machine. Stop watching the rubbish that is the X Factor. It is time the X Factor was aXed and aXed for good.

P.S. It would be funny as if Jedward won. Two fingers to Simon, two fingers to the X Factor!
miles19740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:21   #2
Stormier Ziggy
Forum Member

I do agree its having a big influence on what and what isnt charting...its a shame. Jedward ftw lol :P
Stormier Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:23   #3
misslibertine
Forum Member

Services: "I'm on it... like a mouse on cheese"
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles19740 View Post
I say, definately. I am sick and tired of the annual karaoke sing-a-thon churning out non-personalities each year. It is the same old, same old, year after year. I think it is stiffling the music scene and hijacking the charts, especially at Christmas. The Christmas chart used to be exciting, not anymore. Everyone knows the X Factor will be number one, regardless of what the winner sings. What's happened to musicians/singers working the clubs and building a fan base naturally rather than relying on the dirge that is the X Factor?

For goodness sake, stop feeding this inane machine. Stop watching the rubbish that is the X Factor. It is time the X Factor was aXed and aXed for good.

P.S. It would be funny as if Jedward won. Two fingers to Simon, two fingers to the X Factor!
yes, all the money he's earning from jedward is a massive "two fingers" to simon
misslibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:23   #4
DenizenOfSW3
Forum Member

I am sure music will survive, as anyone with a mental age anywhere near the same as their actual age must realise that there's more to music than the sugar coated crap that the xfactor churns out year after year.

That said, 13.9m people decided to put their brains in neutral this weekend to watch the Cowell propaganda show, so we may well be doomed.
DenizenOfSW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:42   #5
timperry26
Forum Member

Jedwark = Same Difference

I have been saying this all the TIME
XFACTOR should be banned or moved onto one of the SAT Channels
timperry26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:50   #6
misslibertine
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timperry26 View Post
Jedwark = Same Difference

I have been saying this all the TIME
XFACTOR should be banned or moved onto one of the SAT Channels
but if jay sean watched it, you'd be fine with it
Old 02-11-2009, 20:37   #7
celesti
Forum Member

I haven't read one single legitimate reason to axe the show so far in this thread.

The charts have always contained crap, and the Christmas no.1 is hardly a minefield of credibility. The top 10 may be a lot more predictable, but it's not hard to find music outside of it.
celesti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:47   #8
rawr
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles19740 View Post
What's happened to musicians/singers working the clubs and building a fan base naturally rather than relying on the dirge that is the X Factor?
Er, nothing? Plenty of musicians still do that as far as I know, X Factor or no X Factor!

I don't think it's killing music. It adds to the trash a bit, and dominates the charts, but most music lives outside the charts anyway. I watch it, if I'm in and I have nothing better to do, it's an entertainment show, nothing more.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:56   #9
misslibertine
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr View Post
Er, nothing? Plenty of musicians still do that as far as I know, X Factor or no X Factor!

I don't think it's killing music. It adds to the trash a bit, and dominates the charts, but most music lives outside the charts anyway. I watch it, if I'm in and I have nothing better to do, it's an entertainment show, nothing more.
i'm pretty much with you, sir/madam.
Old 02-11-2009, 22:17   #10
timperry26
Forum Member

XFACTOR season is killing music the three months its ON
timperry26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:41   #11
celesti
Forum Member

Hate to break it to you tim, but Jay Sean not being no.1 isn't the death of music.

Also, capitalising random words doesn't ADD the emphasis you'd like to think.
Old 02-11-2009, 23:44   #12
Tombo60
Forum Member

Services: Freeview & Orange Broadband
Why is it so bad??
Surely it is better for an artist TO BE CHOSEN by the people who buy records rather than just being chosen by the record company.
Tombo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:50   #13
kutox
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo60 View Post
Why is it so bad??
Surely it is better for an artist TO BE CHOSEN by the people who buy records rather than just being chosen by the record company.
chosen by people who know nothing about music but watch the show for entertainment, and are gullible enough to genuinely believe that the show is some sort of major talent competition. x factor will never produce a real individual musical talent.
kutox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:57   #14
zx50
Forum Member

Services: Pentium 4 XP Professional Laptop 11.2Mbit/1.4MB/s Be* Pro
This year's series has been made a complete mockery of by keeping in the out of tune Lloyd and booting out the very talented Rachel. Also, keeping in John and Edward is completely laughable........in a very bad way. It's just getting utterly ridiculous now, really. It should have been renamed the joke factor for this series.
zx50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 00:01   #15
zx50
Forum Member

Services: Pentium 4 XP Professional Laptop 11.2Mbit/1.4MB/s Be* Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by celesti View Post
I haven't read one single legitimate reason to axe the show so far in this thread.

The charts have always contained crap, and the Christmas no.1 is hardly a minefield of credibility. The top 10 may be a lot more predictable, but it's not hard to find music outside of it.
Not crap like John and Edward they haven't though.
zx50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 00:22   #16
Gorky
Forum Member

It's not killing music but plenty of songs are being murdered each week.
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 00:31   #17
lala
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx50 View Post
Zig and Zag... The Teletubies.... Aqua.... Bob the Builder... Mr Blooby.... Ant and Dec.... etc etc etc etc etc etc...

So oh yes... the charts have always been shit as f**k!

But since I listen to whatever I want, and I hardly ever listen to Chav FM... Oh I'm sorry Capital FM... TXF has little or no baring on my musical habits a part from the odd occasional good song or two.
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 00:38   #18
misslibertine
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
Zig and Zag... The Teletubies.... Aqua.... Bob the Builder... Mr Blooby.... Ant and Dec.... etc etc etc etc etc etc...

So oh yes... the charts have always been shit as f**k!

But since I listen to whatever I want, and I hardly ever listen to Chav FM... Oh I'm sorry Capital FM... TXF has little or no baring on my musical habits a part from the odd occasional good song or two.
that's a pretty fair argument i watch the show for entertainment, i never like any of the acts that actually win so i don't follow anyone after the show's over.

it's simple really - if you don't like it, don't listen, don't have anything to do with it.
Old 03-11-2009, 00:44   #19
lala
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslibertine View Post
that's a pretty fair argument i watch the show for entertainment, i never like any of the acts that actually win so i don't follow anyone after the show's over.

it's simple really - f you don't like it, don't listen, don't have anything to do with it.
Yep. And also, the success rate of most of the contestants on these shows is pretty low... I mean there has only really been a handful that have survived on to become "credible" artist in and of themselves.

So the impact of these shows on the charts is pretty minimal at best.

Established acts, like Bon Jovi, etc use the show as a promotion tool... and that's all TXF is.... a promotion tool.
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:13   #20
Agent F
Forum Member

Services: @DramaticDavid
I laugh at all these people who like to promote the myth that the charts used to be about 'proper quality music man' until The X Factor came along and drained every last ounce of taste from the Top 40 replacing it with carbon copies of wannabe Britneys.

The charts are shit. The charts were shit long before The X Factor. The charts are shit for the nine months of the year that The X Factor isn't on the air. And the charts will be shit long after The X Factor is but a distant memory.

But it's bloody brilliant entertainment. So no, I would like it to stick around. For another couple of years at least.
Agent F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:15   #21
Agent F
Forum Member

Services: @DramaticDavid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr View Post

I completely agree. There is so much great music out there that never charts. That has nothing to do with The X Factor that's just how popular music operates.
Agent F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:48   #22
mushymanrob
Forum Member

Services: RETRO forum on 'buzzjack'... google it!
is the hyped x factor hit factory circus any worse then historical acts doing pretty much the same thing?... as has been said, theres always been crap in the charts as rubbish appears to appeal to 'non musical' people whos interest in music is shallow. ultimately if people dont like the product, they wont buy it.
mushymanrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07   #23
Slick Nick
Forum Member

I'd say it's TV that actually creates such a shit festival in the charts. TV is the most significant promotional tool ever and the singers that get more TV time sell more records.

Look at Cheryl Cole - I wonder how long her single was sitting in some publisher's vaults waiting to be picked up and attached to a celebrity whose husband happened to bone another lady.

By the time the X Factor winner has a single released, they'd have been on TV every Saturday for 12 weeks.

I think people are still happy to sit back and be told what to listen to by the media, rather than sitting on last.fm for a few minutes a day discovering music for themselves.
Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04   #24
celesti
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutox View Post
chosen by people who know nothing about music
The top 40 itself has always been decided by people choosing what they like, regardless of whether others arbitrarily decide they know something about music or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx50 View Post
You can't be serious. The list of Christmas no.1s alone throws up enough embarrassing stinkers to make the whole notion of 'chart = credibility' a laughing stock.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56   #25
Hotelier
Forum Member

Services: BT internet.
OP. Aren't you dictating to people what they should and shouldn't like though?, you can hardly accuse X factor of this, when you are doing the same yourself.
Hotelier is offline   Reply With Quote