You Are In:  Home > Forums > Media and Digital TV Forums > Broadcasting > Modern Kids TV = Crap
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Broadcasting For discussion of TV channels, companies and other broadcasting issues.

Old Yesterday, 01:36   #1
DXRulz
Forum Member

Services: Nokia 5800 on Vodafone ; BT ; Sky Multiroom ; Freeview ; XBOX LIVE Gold
Modern Kids TV = Crap

Was just bored so i decided to look at the schedules for some of the kids channels (main Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network)

This is an outrage!! Where are the classics?!

The only Cartoon Network classics i can see are on Boomerang (Tom & Jerry, Top Cat etc), can only see one on the main Nick channel (Renford Rejects) and none on Disney.

I know that kids of today won't care or like the old classics but they should at least give some space for them. Like CN could turn Boomerang into CN Classics, Nickelodeon could use Nicktoons or Nick Replay and Disney could use the crappy XD channel (which basically repeats what the main Disney channel shows!!).
DXRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:57   #2
Triple-P
Forum Member

classic dont relate to todays kids!

tom and jerry and old time warner brothers cartoons are too old looking.

but yea i do agree about the classic cartoon channel that would be awesome.

i remember when they used to show them in between programs and i used to record each one on vhs!
Triple-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43   #3
TranceClubber
Forum Member

Services: Sky Digital & 5°E/13°E/19°E/23°E
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXRulz View Post
Was just bored so i decided to look at the schedules for some of the kids channels (main Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network)

This is an outrage!! Where are the classics?!

The only Cartoon Network classics i can see are on Boomerang (Tom & Jerry, Top Cat etc), can only see one on the main Nick channel (Renford Rejects) and none on Disney.

I know that kids of today won't care or like the old classics but they should at least give some space for them. Like CN could turn Boomerang into CN Classics, Nickelodeon could use Nicktoons or Nick Replay and Disney could use the crappy XD channel (which basically repeats what the main Disney channel shows!!).

I Have to agree Today's Modern Kids TV is dire i used to love Watching CBBC and CITV before i got Sky in 1998.

After when i had Sky i then took a liking to Nickelodeon , Disney Channel , Cartoon Network , Fox Kids and even The CBBC Channel when it first launched in 2002.

Nickelodeon was the best for Ren & Stimpy , Sabrina the Teenage Witch , Are you Afraid of the Dark? , Cousin Skeeter , Rugrats , Round the Twist and with its live shows like Nick Now & Nick L8R with Dave Berry and Yolly.

Disney Channel was great for Dinosaurs , Honey i Shrunk the Kids , Recess , Jett Jackson , Short Cuts , Jumanji and The Wonderful World Of Disney & Studio Disney with James , Nigel , Jean & Emma.

Fox Kidswas always the one to watch for Goosebumps , Big Wolf on Campus and Oggy and Cockroaches which is now on Kix

Cartoon Network another channel that was great to watch for Johnny Bravo , Dexters Laboratory , Animaniacs , The Moomins & The Racoons later moved to Boomerang in 2003 but stopped showing them both a year later.

Lastly the CBBC it was great when it was on BBC1 in the 90's and when it first launched as a channel in 2002 with the bugs when it launched in 2002 it played alot of classics like The Ghost Hunter , The Demon Headmaster , Belfry Witches , Out of Tune an Julia Jeckyll & Harriet Hyde but never too be seen again since.
TranceClubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32   #4
Strathclyde
Forum Member

Blame the (mainly EC) regulators. Kids TV has been so heavily regulated, especially in terms of what is allowed in advertising, that Kids TV is commercially very unattractive. Aside from the few faithfuls like Disney, only the PSB obligations remain as an incentive to broadcast kids stuff.

"Unintended Consequences" is the term....
Strathclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13   #5
JAS84
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXRulz View Post
Disney could use the crappy XD channel (which basically repeats what the main Disney channel shows!!).
No they don't. A few shows moved from Disney Channel (i.e. Phineas and Ferb), but none of the XD output is also currently shown on Disney Channel. In fact most of DXD's output is inherited from Fox Kids/Jetix, it's predecessor. And they do have new exclusive shows, such as Aaron Stone, and in January, will start showing K9.

I do agree that the DXD lineup isn't as good as Fox Kids had in its early years (mid-late 90s) though.
JAS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18   #6
fortythree
Forum Member

Services: sky
I have to disagree, at least at the younger age level.

Ceebies is the best thing the BBC does. It has a fantastic range of programmes for pre-schoolers with programmes made with the kids in mind, not just eye candy to sell the latest toys.

To mention just a few Show Me Show Me, Timmy time, Nina and the Neurons and Big Cook Little Cook are all fantastically clever programmes whihc gently encourage kids to look at the outside world in wonder while thoroughly entertaining themhttp://images.digitalspy.co.uk/forum/smilies/smile.gif
fortythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49   #7
stud u like
Forum Member

Services: masculine men with passion!
There are quite a few kids programmes I like such as "Sarah Jane Adventures" and "Bear Behaving Badly".
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33   #8
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Services: Cable with CNBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-P View Post
classic dont relate to todays kids!

tom and jerry and old time warner brothers cartoons are too old looking.

but yea i do agree about the classic cartoon channel that would be awesome.

i remember when they used to show them in between programs and i used to record each one on vhs!
I love those cartoons! I have loads of videos and dvds of tom and jerry and looney tunes type cartoons and have watched them on youtube as well! even today they're really funny!
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37   #9
stud u like
Forum Member

Services: masculine men with passion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbcwatcher View Post
I love those cartoons! I have loads of videos and dvds of tom and jerry and looney tunes type cartoons and have watched them on youtube as well! even today they're really funny!
Youtube is excellent for" Chilly Willy" whom I used to adore as a kid.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:29   #10
welsh_Gaz
Forum Member

I don't like modern kids TV either. But it's not been aimed at me for at least 8 years, so that's expected. I imagine Children enjoy modern Children's Television plenty.
welsh_Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:45   #11
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Services: Cable with CNBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stud u like View Post
Youtube is excellent for" Chilly Willy" whom I used to adore as a kid.
I sorta remember that show as well. Woody Woodpecker is another one I used to like.
cnbcwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote