You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Cult > Doctor Who and Torchwood > Simm: Christmas Master '*more* insane'
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doctor Who and Torchwood Discuss all things Doctor Who right here!

Old 01-11-2009, 15:50   #2
tingramretro
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Sid View Post
Is there any reason why he would be Prime Minister?
tingramretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 16:41   #3
Black Guardian
Forum Member

I hope that this time around the insanity is far more layered in the script and the direction rather than John Simm dancing and looking a bit wide eyed when delivering his lines.
Black Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:08   #4
kw4121
Forum Member

Services: sky HD, sky max broadband,
I agree BG John Simm is a great actor and I also hope that Eros Lynn is able to get the best out of him and the script's as its RTD last I hope will be spectacular!

Kenneth
kw4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:08   #5
bigalt
Forum Member

Services: twtv & bb, freeview, Blackhill tx
Could it be any worse than Last of the Timelords. More understated and with a bit more menace please.

He should watch the short stint by DJ to get the idea.
bigalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:09   #6
Cameron KMcEwan
Forum Member

Great interview, thanks for the link.
Cameron KMcEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:21   #7
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

I am less and less interested in seeing the Tennant finales.

Bring on the new bloke. New broom sweeping clean, I pray ...
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:45   #8
Section8grl
Forum Member

Can the Master *be* any more insane?

Sorry if I sound like Chandler.
Section8grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:02   #9
Black Guardian
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw4121 View Post
I agree BG John Simm is a great actor and I also hope that Eros Lynn is able to get the best out of him and the script's as its RTD last I hope will be spectacular!

Kenneth
as Bigalt said more menace. agree John Simm is a superb actor but less theatrics in the performance, more of a darker direction given this is the end of Tennant's era and possibly him playing The Master too and less slap stick in the script.
Old 01-11-2009, 18:04   #10
Digital Sid
Forum Member

Services: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingramretro View Post
Is there any reason why he would be Prime Minister?

http://twitpic.com/nw0df
Digital Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:06   #11
DJGM
Forum Member

Services: Freeview, Be*, and an XBox360
I can't hear anything on that linked page. However, I do get prompted to "Install Missing Plugins",
only to find that it wants to me to install Apple QuickTime ... and that really ain't gonna happen!
DJGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:23   #12
Digital Sid
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffnobbler View Post

I don't think he's referring to his mannerisms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F6D6RgpJGE

(RTD, 8:40 onwards)
Old 01-11-2009, 19:40   #13
Digital Sid
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGM View Post
I can't hear anything on that linked page. However, I do get prompted to "Install Missing Plugins",
only to find that it wants to me to install Apple QuickTime ... and that really ain't gonna happen!
Browser doesn't know what to play it with. Here's the raw audio file on TalkSport's servers:

http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/talkSPOR...91016-1434.mp3

Right click, save to desktop, locate, play.
Old 01-11-2009, 22:10   #14
crazzyaz7
Forum Member

Thanks for this Sid!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Guardian View Post
I hope that this time around the insanity is far more layered in the script and the direction rather than John Simm dancing and looking a bit wide eyed when delivering his lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalt View Post
Could it be any worse than Last of the Timelords. More understated and with a bit more menace please.

He should watch the short stint by DJ to get the idea.

I love Simm's Master and his over the topness...its perfect!!! And most of his over the top craziness, hides a very dark and sadistic person, which becomes more apparent when he does those quieter scenes. I mean, one minute you have him making slapstick faces at his Cabinet, knowing in his head what he has in store for them, and the next while they are all dying or dead, he is there staring, tapping away, and very quiet. Also the scene where he comes dancing to the Scissor Sisters, in a so called over the top manner....there is a lot of depth, and layerd evilness in that dance, for example the look he gives Francine because of the tea, or the way he drags the Doctor and throws him onto that wheelchair. Or my other favourite moment, which becomes obvious later on, is when he is standing and staring at the Doctor, Jack and Martha, who all think that he can't see them, on the runway, and next minute he is all jumping around and welcoming the Jones family, purposely knowing that the Doctor and Martha are watching....that is fantasticly evil.

I love Delgado too...who may be less slapstick and OTT...but even he has his moments when he is equally the same OTT Master as Simm's....because just like the Doctor....he is an OTT character....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffnobbler View Post

Seriously, if your really not looking forward to the finale, I would recommend that you not watch it at all, its only three specials, before you know it they will be over...just wait for series 5. Why watch something that you know your not going to enjoy, why punish yourself. Just wait, after all series 5 is going to be excellent, no doubt about that....Moff can't do anything wrong....
crazzyaz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 23:19   #15
Histeria
Forum Member

Services: I've often wondered about this field
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzyaz7 View Post
Seriously, if your really not looking forward to the finale, I would recommend that you not watch it at all, its only three specials, before you know it they will be over...just wait for series 5. Why watch something that you know your not going to enjoy, why punish yourself. Just wait, after all series 5 is going to be excellent, no doubt about that....Moff can't do anything wrong....
Oh come on. Being "less and less excited" about the specials is hardly cause to not watch them at all. I'm in the same boat as chuffnobbler. Other than not much liking Simm's Master, I suppose to a degree it's a shame in the timing, in that MS is filming the new series before DT's finale has aired. The excitement of a new Doctor (and new production team) does seem to be eclipsing the excitiment of new eps for some of us.
Histeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 00:01   #16
crazzyaz7
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histeria View Post
Oh come on. Being "less and less excited" about the specials is hardly cause to not watch them at all. I'm in the same boat as chuffnobbler. Other than not much liking Simm's Master, I suppose to a degree it's a shame in the timing, in that MS is filming the new series before DT's finale has aired. The excitement of a new Doctor (and new production team) does seem to be eclipsing the excitiment of new eps for some of us.
Maybe it sounded mean, but I wasn't being mean...just generally saying something that I would do if I wasn't interested or knew I wasn't going to like a particular programme, as Chuffnobbler has mentioned in a couple of threads that I have been catching up on lately, he feels that they will be a disappointment, because they won't be small scale, will have someone saying "I wuv you Doctor" and lots of crying, and the Master....and himself has said about about skipping to the New series...Its his own words which suggest that he rather not watch the finales, so all I said was don't, because for some reason he will watch them anyway, even though he doesn't want to, prefers not to...and that is what I don't get. I don't want to watch any reality shows, and I don't watch any reality shows. There is a difference between being less excited to less interested, for example watching the repeats doens't excite me, but I still am interested. Its only three specials, and if he knows he won't like them, then he can wait for series 5, which he is excited for and interested in. But if I have got the wrong end of the stick form his comments, and that he really does still want to watch the finales for other reasons, then I apologise, again I was just speaking generally while trying to put myself in his position....

My comment about Moff was Sarky though, but that to came out of the annoyance of the whole idea in and around the net that suggests that Moff will be the saviour of Doctor Who....
Old 02-11-2009, 00:01   #17
pappy h
Forum Member

I'm with the Choffnubbler, I'm afraid.

If the finales are based around Simm's so-very-lightweight "Joker"-style Master, then why should we get sooooooo excited. It already been done on Batman.

Perhaps, I should wait for Matt (but, I know, I won't...hey ho)
pappy h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 00:15   #18
JessicaL
Forum Member

Ta for the link Sid .

I think we all already knew from the DT/RTD interview link posted by Sid that theres going to be a strong scene involving the Master to close the Christmas Day episode -I think it will involve
spoiler:
Lucy.

So do we think the Master is worse than last time because he's interfered with the timewar -or his regeneration went wrong?

JessicaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 15:26   #19
Digital Sid
Forum Member

Quote:
I love Simm's Master and his over the topness...its perfect!!! And most of his over the top craziness, hides a very dark and sadistic person, which becomes more apparent when he does those quieter scenes. I mean, one minute you have him making slapstick faces at his Cabinet, knowing in his head what he has in store for them, and the next while they are all dying or dead, he is there staring, tapping away, and very quiet. Also the scene where he comes dancing to the Scissor Sisters, in a so called over the top manner....there is a lot of depth, and layerd evilness in that dance, for example the look he gives Francine because of the tea, or the way he drags the Doctor and throws him onto that wheelchair. Or my other favourite moment, which becomes obvious later on, is when he is standing and staring at the Doctor, Jack and Martha, who all think that he can't see them, on the runway, and next minute he is all jumping around and welcoming the Jones family, purposely knowing that the Doctor and Martha are watching....that is fantasticly evil.

I love Delgado too...who may be less slapstick and OTT...but even he has his moments when he is equally the same OTT Master as Simm's....because just like the Doctor....he is an OTT character....
Agreed.

Simm plays the Master like he's ten's evil twin, his naughty little brother and in my opinion, it works.

The phone call between the two in TSOD is one of my favourite scenes in new who, 'you must have been like God!'
Old 02-11-2009, 15:38   #20
Digital Sid
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy h View Post
If the finales are based around Simm's so-very-lightweight "Joker"-style Master, then why should we get sooooooo excited. It already been done on Batman.
Could be worse..
Old 02-11-2009, 18:21   #21
Black Guardian
Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe it sounded mean, but I wasn't being mean...just generally saying something that I would do if I wasn't interested or knew I wasn't going to like a particular programme, as Chuffnobbler has mentioned in a couple of threads that I have been catching up on lately, he feels that they will be a disappointment, because they won't be small scale, will have someone saying "I wuv you Doctor" and lots of crying, and the Master....and himself has said about about skipping to the New series...Its his own words which suggest that he rather not watch the finales, so all I said was don't, because for some reason he will watch them anyway, even though he doesn't want to, prefers not to...and that is what I don't get. I don't want to watch any reality shows, and I don't watch any reality shows. There is a difference between being less excited to less interested, for example watching the repeats doens't excite me, but I still am interested. Its only three specials, and if he knows he won't like them, then he can wait for series 5, which he is excited for and interested in. But if I have got the wrong end of the stick form his comments, and that he really does still want to watch the finales for other reasons, then I apologise, again I was just speaking generally while trying to put myself in his position....

My comment about Moff was Sarky though, but that to came out of the annoyance of the whole idea in and around the net that suggests that Moff will be the saviour of Doctor Who....
ah but the moment anyone dares to criticise Russell they get admonished but Moffat is fair game? that isn't directed at you in particular..just posing a general question.
Old Yesterday, 01:29   #22
crazzyaz7
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Guardian View Post
ah but the moment anyone dares to criticise Russell they get admonished but Moffat is fair game? that isn't directed at you in particular..just posing a general question.
No one should get criticised for the fun of it, and my comment wasn't about Moff himself, but the general idea that people use him as a way to get at RTD...is that fair? I myself have, when I so called "criticise" Moff, I do it to balance out the pointless bashing that RTD gets. For example when people say that RTD reuses his ideas, or that he has sexualised the Doctor, or that his stories are full of plot holes, or that his endings are DRM/reset buttons, or not dark, childish, cheesy....and then they go on to say that they feel all that will be sorted out when Moff takes over....Its only fair that I point them to the so called flaws they have seen in RTD's stories, being in Moff's too. Some people really believe that Moff can't do no wrong, yet they crucify RTD for all the things that Moff himself has done in his episodes! I really wouldn't say a thing if people were consistant, like for example, if they don't like the sexualisation or the idea that the Doctor can fall in love that RTD has supposedly shown, then they should make the same criticisms of TGITF for example. But they don't.

I don't have a problem with Moffat, I love most of his stories, even if Blink isn't as special as it was the first time round, or that the Library two parter gets on my nerves at times because I am ahead of the Doctor, as in knowing what "saved" meant and the books being the forest. I have said many times that I look forward to the New series to see where he takes DW with his vision...i have on DS itself, spent time defending Moff too (athough I never thought I would have to) when the announcement of Matt and Karen was made, and some were complaining that it was to pander for the Hollyoaks audience, or the recently when people were saying that it was insensative of Moff and Matt to have Matt wearing DT's clothes in the open, before the regeneration special airs.

Its not a fair game to pointlessly attack anyone...people can be critical, they have every right. But sometimes its seems too inconsistant to stand as true criticism...and more really a moan for the sake of moaning.

Anyway, can you really say that the amount of criticism and also the kind of criticism that Moff gets is anyway comparable to the criticism that RTD gets??? You only have to look at the Derek Jacobi thread, where the decision to not carry on with Jacobi and replace him with Simm means that RTD's script is stupid...I mean how???? Its his decision after all, and yes it may not work for all, and you can say why (ie you feel Jacobi really was good and you wanted to see more), but that doesn't mean it was stupid considering that it worked for more, and got the success he needed to still keep the show going and keep reaching to a point that it still is in good health when Moff takes over....
Old Yesterday, 05:18   #23
Filiman
Forum Member

I have to say, the knowledge that John Simms returns as the Master has definately "cooled" my anticipation for DT's final stories. The series 3 two-hander was the only one that I really didn't like as a series concluder, and Simm was just awful as the Master - imo, especially after Sir Derek Jacobi.

Personally, if it goes down like it did in LOTTL then Simm could well ruin DT's finale. Simm is a good actor, but his handling of the Master was just dreadful - hopefully it was just down to scripting and direction (both pretty horrid in that story), but I doubt that much will change this time round.
Filiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24   #24
JAS84
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaL View Post
spoiler:
So do we think the Master is worse than last time because he's interfered with the timewar -or his regeneration went wrong?
spoiler:
Went wrong? The Master chose not to regenerate! So how is it he's even still alive? That's the biggest mystery.
JAS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:25   #25
JessicaL
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS84 View Post
spoiler:
Went wrong? The Master chose not to regenerate! So how is it he's even still alive? That's the biggest mystery.
spoiler:

Will involve Lucy I think -she'll try to resurrect him ..with something going wrong for her ...RTD says theres a strong scene to close the Christmas Day special ..

JessicaL is offline   Reply With Quote