You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > Soaps > The Emmerdale Discussion (Spoilers) (Part 11)
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soaps Discuss soaps from the UK and abroad here!

Old 31-08-2009, 15:04   #1
Maidenfan666
Forum Member

The Emmerdale Discussion (Spoilers) (Part 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. mustard View Post
I think he really spoils the show. Can't stand the 'comedy' routine.

Still, at least he's getting less airtime as the newer characters soar
I think it would be better to write him better and change te character a bit rather than give the new folk all the storylines - basically, id rather they not write the "comedy" characters off, but instead just make the characters less comedic based than before.

who else is looking forward to seeing Nathan suffer tonight?
Maidenfan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:08   #2
Maidenfan666
Forum Member

lmao. Im amused by the fact that it will now say i started the edale discussion (although obviously part 11) lol
Old 31-08-2009, 15:09   #3
mr. mustard
Forum Member

Services: With The Beatles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenfan666 View Post
I think it would be better to write him better and change the character a bit
Point taken, but that never happens. Marlon, Eli, Shadrach and their ilk are destined to be clowns I think. Any serious spells never last long and they continually revert to their usual ways sadly. Shadrach / Gennie is a good example. That was a chance to develop Shadders, but they're rarely even seen together now.

It's a shame that such characters aren't used better IMO.
mr. mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:09   #4
Die Squirrel Di
Forum Member

Quote:
who else is looking forward to seeing Nathan suffer tonight?
Tonight? Surely you mean all this week, and yes, very much so. Of all the facets of drama, 'comeuppance' has to be my favourite.
Die Squirrel Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:10   #5
Mister rosy
Inactive Member

Quote:
Point taken, but that never happens. Marlon, Eli, Shadrach and their ilk are destined to be clowns I think. Any serious spells never last long and they continually revert to their usual ways sadly. Shadrach / Gennie is a good example. That was a chance to develop Shadders, but they're rarely even seen together now.

It's a bit harsh calling them clowns.
Mister rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:11   #6
Lucylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Squirrel Di View Post
Tonight? Surely you mean all this week, and yes, very much so. Of all the facets of drama, 'comeuppance' has to be my favourite.
Yes, Cain threatens Nathan on Thursday and he looks like he is crying in the picture
Old 31-08-2009, 15:11   #7
mr. mustard
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister rosy View Post
It's a bit harsh calling them clowns.
I don't think so, it's a term used for purveyors of comedy, which they generally are
Old 31-08-2009, 15:12   #8
Maidenfan666
Forum Member

I know! lol all week, first this whole revelation, then Carl throwing him out, chas slapping him, then cain attacking him. i LOVE LOVE LOVE how Nathan is taking so much shit from everyone in the show and has effectively became the shows whipping boy.
Old 31-08-2009, 15:15   #9
Litchick
Forum Member

Whilst Mark Charnock has a tendency to over-rely on his physical stage/screen presence (as many actors of his height often do) he is capable of much more subtle delivery. I find his heartbreak almost all the more tragic precisely because he is so often a comedic character. His moments of gravity are all the more poignant because of that. Where Charnock does shine for me is in his ability to make me believe in his interactions with a huge range of characters. Whilst he clearly has a superb working relationship with Dom Brunt, Marlon has been involved with a huge number of characters and different storylines. I do think that the actor could do with a little more direction in reigning in his often oestentatious arm waving - his face is brilliantly expressive (and no I do not think he is guilty of gurning) and therefore it is not needed. The fact that Alex Carter seems to have toned down Jamie in quite remarkable fashion over teh last few weeks make me think that perhaps Charnock can do the same with Marlon.
HOw's that Batisse? Well you did ask!
Litchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:18   #10
Maidenfan666
Forum Member

Quote:

I do see what you mean, Mr M, but i think its always good to have characters like that - emmerdale is obviously using ott comedy less now, but it would be okay and expected for it to still occur occasionally, and i myself wouldnt be averse to it on one of those odd occasions. so, i really dont mind that they are more comedic characters with occasional serious spells. not every character has to fulfull some sort of serious dramatic function.

Regarding the Dingles. apart from eli and marlon they have been used very well in my opinion. interaction could still be better, but they have been given some good bits of drama and the feud with the Bartons makes for great soap drama, in my opinion. Again though they could be used better - eli only ever interacts with marlon, vice versa, and cain and debbie never seem to interact with their family, i especially would have expected cain to be in more scenes, especially with his dad (s)!. however, minor thing as the cast use/character use is generally very good indeed at the moment.
Old 31-08-2009, 15:19   #11
mr. mustard
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litchick View Post
his face is brilliantly expressive (and no I do not think he is guilty of gurning)
He gurned this very week, or rather last week I think he's an awful actor, one of the tiny handful in Emmy who are poor.

That's very rare, as most are very good. For me, that's why he stands out so much.
Old 31-08-2009, 15:19   #12
Maidenfan666
Forum Member

Quote:
Whilst Mark Charnock has a tendency to over-rely on his physical stage/screen presence (as many actors of his height often do) he is capable of much more subtle delivery. I find his heartbreak almost all the more tragic precisely because he is so often a comedic character. His moments of gravity are all the more poignant because of that. Where Charnock does shine for me is in his ability to make me believe in his interactions with a huge range of characters. Whilst he clearly has a superb working relationship with Dom Brunt, Marlon has been involved with a huge number of characters and different storylines. I do think that the actor could do with a little more direction in reigning in his often oestentatious arm waving - his face is brilliantly expressive (and no I do not think he is guilty of gurning) and therefore it is not needed. The fact that Alex Carter seems to have toned down Jamie in quite remarkable fashion over teh last few weeks make me think that perhaps Charnock can do the same with Marlon.
HOw's that Batisse? Well you did ask!
Do you work in television in some sort of offical capacity, you always seem so bloody knowledgeable about these things lol your posts are always awesome to read - very insightful - i do wish you would post your big episode reviews again!
Old 31-08-2009, 15:23   #13
Die Squirrel Di
Forum Member

Quote:
I know! lol all week, first this whole revelation, then Carl throwing him out, chas slapping him, then cain attacking him. i LOVE LOVE LOVE how Nathan is taking so much shit from everyone in the show and has effectively became the shows whipping boy.
And here was I thinking we'd have to wait until the DanMark reveal to see him knocked off his high horse. What a lovely appetisers of Nathan-abuse they are serving us.
Die Squirrel Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:25   #14
Maidenfan666
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Squirrel Di View Post
And here was I thinking we'd have to wait until the DanMark reveal to see him knocked off his high horse. What a lovely appetisers of Nathan-abuse they are serving us.
Someone should totally start a Nathan Abuse thread, recording every moment someone puts nathan down verbally or physically! lol which going by the past month would be a lot.
Old 31-08-2009, 15:26   #15
Batisse
Forum Member

Well so much for moving to the thread to continue the excellent discussion of Wylde/Lambe storyline. Move on over and they split the piggin thread.

BTW LC well done, knew I could count on you
Batisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:27   #16
mr. mustard
Forum Member

Quote:
I do see what you mean, Mr M, but i think its always good to have characters like that - emmerdale is obviously using ott comedy less now, but it would be okay and expected for it to still occur occasionally, and i myself wouldnt be averse to it on one of those odd occasions.
It's easier to take now because it doesn't dominate so much. Comedy is essential in soaps, it's needed to lighten the mix. I just prefer subtlety and wit to the OTT inane style that Marlon, Eli and increasingly Pollard & Val deliver. It doesn't sit well alongside the new quality that's improved Emmy so much.
Old 31-08-2009, 15:27   #17
Batisse
Forum Member

Quote:
Someone should totally start a Nathan Abuse thread, recording every moment someone puts nathan down verbally or physically! lol which going by the past month would be a lot.
It would be split in a week
Old 31-08-2009, 15:27   #18
Litchick
Forum Member

I was relieved last week to see Nathan finally revert to type regarding Ryan - his petulant, spit the dummy reaction about his friend with 'a couple of GCSEs' and him with his 'degree' was long overdue given his previous reaction to all blue-collar workers.
FOr this reason I find it unlikely that he attempts anything vaguely romantic with Chas given his loathing of all things Dingle and unlike say Debbie or Gennie Chas is nothing if not thoroughly DIngelyfied.
Old 31-08-2009, 15:32   #19
Batisse
Forum Member

I saw the clip with him "hitting on Chas" he was the one who got hit

I just wish Carl did not get involved, Chas could take him with one hand tiied behind her back. The resulting embarrassment of being beaten up by a girl would be so sweet
Old 31-08-2009, 15:34   #20
WaterKelpie
Forum Member

I find Nathan very unlikeable and his friendship with Ryan has done little to alter that. So far, we haven't seen many facets to his character. Maybe we'll see a little genuine heart when everything is revealed? I suspect he's going to be even nastier though.
WaterKelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 15:57   #21
memmh
Forum Member

Quote:
I was relieved last week to see Nathan finally revert to type regarding Ryan - his petulant, spit the dummy reaction about his friend with 'a couple of GCSEs' and him with his 'degree' was long overdue given his previous reaction to all blue-collar workers.
FOr this reason I find it unlikely that he attempts anything vaguely romantic with Chas given his loathing of all things Dingle and unlike say Debbie or Gennie Chas is nothing if not thoroughly DIngelyfied.
I don't think he's trying anything "romantic" with Chas. I think he's being "the lord of the manor," expecting the "peasants" to scratch an itch for him. Somehow I doubt there's anything more than that to his interest in Chas.
memmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 16:01   #22
Litchick
Forum Member

I was trying to think of a decorous way of putting it - your's is much better
Old 31-08-2009, 16:32   #23
Batisse
Forum Member

Quote:
I was trying to think of a decorous way of putting it - your's is much better
No just watched the clip again, it started with him trying to be flirty. She just didn't play
Old 31-08-2009, 16:35   #24
Love Bear
Forum Member

Services: Manic street preachers - best band in the universe.
What has happened to Lucy Pargeter? I mean, she used to be absolutely stunning but kind of looks as though she's had botox or something now. And she's gone quite skinny. Does anyone know if she's been ill or something?
Love Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 17:00   #25
Batisse
Forum Member

Quote:
He gurned this very week, or rather last week I think he's an awful actor, one of the tiny handful in Emmy who are poor.

That's very rare, as most are very good. For me, that's why he stands out so much.
Thankfully that is just your opinion, and you have no power over the production team

But obviously you do respect all the actors