Search Discussions

Discuss

The content of Discuss is not produced by The Local unless clearly stated in a post.

Adding a comment is easy: just click on the 'Post reply' link below or at the bottom of the page. You have to register to add comments, but that only takes a few seconds. To find out more about The Local's Discuss section, click here.

Buying a used car in Sweden...

Post new topic | Post reply    Index -> Moving to Sweden (View latest) Previous topic | Next topic  
 Author  Message
Jakub72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Buying a used car in Sweden... Quote

My family and I landed here a couple of weeks ago from the states and we need to acquire a couple of cars. Seeing that I am not made of BMW money I will be searching for something a little more 'reasonable'. Currently I am renting a KIA Cee'd, which by Kia standard for the US is a much, much better vehicle then the crap they try to pass off there as transportation. So the questions I pass on to all the knowledge here is......
1. Does one haggle for the price of a car?
2. Resale value....what keeps its value over three years here? And where can I go to find out?
3. Private seller or a dealership?

I have been lurking on Blocket for awhile and the vehicles I am attracted to seem to be always BMW, Saab, VW. Stateside, all descent cars that keep their resell value and have good reliabilty records. I would love to own one newer (3-4 yo) for my wife and another older vehicle for myself. I have a substantial tool box being shipped and I am not affraid to get a little dirty, again not sure what I can work on here with out getting into trouble with the vehicle inspections. I appriciate any help that can be givin.

Jake
Back to top Report abuse
Engelsmannen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Quote

It depends a little on where you're moving to. VW would be a great choice for Stockholm or further south, especially something with the highly respected 4-motion system.

If the roads are likely to be snowy/icy, you can't beat a Subaru Forester/Legacy/Outback. The handling is sublime on every surface, summer and winter, and the have the best record for reliability with the swedish vehicle inspection authorities.

Plus, if you like to tinker, you can soup up a basic model into a real monster Smile
Back to top Report abuse
Engelsmannen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Quote

I forgot to mention that resale values are consistently high - the biggest problem is finding someone who is willing to part with one!

Avoid older Saabs like the plague, and look up the dictionary definition of oversteer and you'll find an icy road with a rear wheel drive BMW heading backwards into a hedge.
Back to top Report abuse
Osk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Quote

Jake

Where are you?

My 'wife' sells cars
Back to top Report abuse
Rap43

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Quote

In Sweden, there is a system...

If you want to know the facts about cars without any sales opinions or personal loyalties, go here:

http://www.bilprovningen.se/ex...!opendocument&m=7

The inspection system in Sweden means you are generally pretty safe buying a used car.

Have fun! I am jealous of the idea of buying not one, but two 'new' cars at the same time Wink
Back to top Report abuse
Renfeh Hguh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Quote

Engelsmannen wrote:
look up the dictionary definition of oversteer and you'll find an icy road with a rear wheel drive BMW heading backwards into a hedge.

or you learn how to drive Rolling Eyes
Back to top Report abuse
Renfeh Hguh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Quote

Rap43 wrote:

The inspection system in Sweden means you are generally pretty safe buying a used car.

why?

It does not tell you that the car has been in a major accident? Can't tell you that one or more cylinders have low compression requiring a head gasket or a more serious engine rebuild or many other things Rolling Eyes

If you are buying privately or an older out of warranty car and you want some sense of security get it tested at Motormännen http://www.motormannen.se/mm1/...
Back to top Report abuse
Jakub72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Quote

I am in the Lund/Malmo area......and I would not buy a Volvo/Saab that is older then an 2002, I did car audio/security/mobile video for 15 years there and these cars do not hold up very well, kind of like GM and Ford in the US. It was always the Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans and Mazdas that held up the best.....still do. And they retain their resale value the best. I do not see too many Honda's here......and why I bailed on importing our Pilot.

I appreciate all the info...thanks!
Back to top Report abuse
Post new topic | Post reply    Index -> Moving to Sweden All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: