Login

Not a member yet? Click here to register!
Username:
Password:

CVG NETWORK

CVG
Games Radar
Edge Online
PSW Magazine
PSM3 Magazine
PC Zone Magazine
Xbox World 360 Magazine
NGamer Magazine
PC Gamer Magazine
CheatStation
Next-Gen.biz
Official XBOX 360 Magazine
Forums
MGS4 has '90 minute' cut-scenes
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
Vyvrtka
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:22 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?

*raises hand*

though I'm glad we'll be able to pause them Razz
d574xm
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:23 am Reply with quote

Frequency and length of cutscenes ruined MGS2. How did it get such high scores? The game taunts you with the promise of an interesting story and finishes with a terrible ending.

MGS4 sounds like a chore already.
Dark_Prophet
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:41 am Reply with quote

That's insane! Surprised
Retro_Teatro
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:43 am Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting idea - I never was one for the MGS series but would like to play a bit of this, see how the game and "the movie" mix. Could be fun/intersting.
berelain
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:46 am Reply with quote

ugh, 90 minutes? thats pretty crazy. I mean, dont get me wrong, I love cutscenes, but Lost Odyssey was pushing it with the last part of disc 3, where in about 2 hours of game there was about 15 minutes of play. But at least it gave you save points inbetween them.

I just find the concept of having a 90 minute long pretty ill-conceived, especially when, if its the same as with the earlier entries in the series, you have very little warning when one's going to kick in.

I mean, seriously. What if you get a power cut? A friend comes round? Need to go out? At least you can pause the damn things, but still.
The_Johnson
Kudos: 9

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:46 am Reply with quote

What the hell?

90 minutes? That's insane.

In fact, it seems insane that MGS2 had a 45 minute cut scene. I've not played a MGS before because this is the first Playstation I've owned but....as important as this game is, if, to get the story, I have to watch cut scenes that approach the 1 and a half hour-mark, then there is no way I'm getting this.

I'm all for story - but, if to get the story i have to sit through more than one feature length film, then, well, there is no chance.
JAKEevans
Kudos: 16

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:48 am Reply with quote

what about the gameplay being 20 hours long eh? funny how they forget that part so fanboys can bitch and moan and say metal gear solid is shit because it has loads of cutscenes(i like em). Its not like this game is gona be 90 min cutscene all at once though is it? IF you dont like the sound of this.....then dont buy it then. Anyway This game is gona be awsome. I cant wait for this and then when im done, bring on gears of war 2.

Last edited by JAKEevans on 23 May 08 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
willbrowne81
Kudos: 21

There was only ever 2 god father films...the Third is terrible.

I personally find a cut scene of more than 10mins abit long. surely they could tell they story though gameplay. But thats just a stupid Idea
ted1138
Kudos: 32

Well, they do have one of those BD thingies to fill. Rolling Eyes
leefear1
Kudos: 30

d574xm wrote:
Frequency and length of cutscenes ruined MGS2. How did it get such high scores? The game taunts you with the promise of an interesting story and finishes with a terrible ending.

MGS4 sounds like a chore already.

I agree. Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 is one of the best games ever made. MGS2 is one of the worst! Mainly down to the fact that one of the most inventive games was instantly turned into a sem-playable Film! I was horrified at having to sit through 30-45 min cut scenes before I could get gaming again. It also caused problems when I just wanted to play a few mins before going out. I was playing it once while waiting for a friend to pick me up, I palyed it for around 20 mins and completed the level. A cut scene came on and after about 10 mins my friend turned up. I then had to make the decision whether to go out and leave the cutscene playing or to switch the machine off and have to play the 20 mins of the game again (and the 10 or so mins of the cutscene I had already watched) I waited another 5 mins and decided that I needed to switch it off as the game is so heavily based around the story (not a bad thing) that if I missed any storyline it would spoil the game. I later found that the cutscene I was trying to watch was almost 45 mins long!!
pishers
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:49 am Reply with quote

i know its kind of what mgs games are about but couldnt they deliver the story in a different way? i mean hl and hl2 lets you play through the story with no cutscenes but this is probably at the other end of the scale from mgs.
DAEDALUS79
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:50 am Reply with quote

90 minutes is my average play time in one go, it will take me forever to finish the game, especially as im not buying it at launch.
JohnWalker

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:52 am Reply with quote

Personally in a game i don't beleive there's ever the need for a cut-scene that long, i've played thousands of games that have managed to convey a good story line without resorting to that.

But MGS is just not my type of game...& i think it's accepted that you either love it or hate it...bit like marmite really.
Johnny_5

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:53 am Reply with quote

Like somebody has already said there may be 90mins of cutscenes but the game play is over 20 hours! It took OPM 29 hours to finish the game. Money well spent IMO.
ingy
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:55 am Reply with quote

You see, what would we do without blu-ray storage, see how its improved the actual game Wink

Games with huge hype like this generate their own high scores, with sony mags not daring to criticise for fear of a backlash.

You have to wait for the hype to die down to get a true review score, then people will reflect and say, no, halo 3 wasn't a 10 and neither was gta4.

We'll have to wait and see, it will be nice to power up my ps3 hopefully with something worthwhile.
blagger

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:56 am Reply with quote

What others have said is coming true!

MGS is gonna be a slide show Sad
Too much watching and not enough gameplay.

With the news of the delay of killzone 2 yesterday, this is not what i wanted to read to cheer me up.
Hopefully it'll still be fairly decent.
gothchild
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 23 May 08 8:57 am Reply with quote

This is starting to sound more like a movie than a game tbh.
PsychoMania
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:03 am Reply with quote

Well this article has just made my mind up for me. I won't be collecting my pre-order now.

90 minutes is too long for an in game cutscene. It just shows a lack of talent for creating an interactive experience.
leefear1

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:04 am Reply with quote

Johnny_5 wrote:
Like somebody has already said there may be 90mins of cutscenes but the game play is over 20 hours! It took OPM 29 hours to finish the game. Money well spent IMO.

There are not 90mins of cutscenes there are cutscenes that are 90 min in length!! Money not well spent IMO.
__SpUtNiK__
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:05 am Reply with quote

d574xm wrote:

MGS3 was much worse than 2 IMO. The cutscenes are not the worst part, its those conversations on the codec, they simply would not stop. On and on and on most of it inane dribble, unimportant in every single way. I think he was trying to add depth to the characters it ended up boring.

This 90 minutes thing sounds annoying. I dont know why hes persisting on taking this long and complicated story and making it MORE complicated. A percentage of MGS4 players werent even born when the first was created, so for them its pointless and even more boring. Not for me though.....

If we dont find out who the la-li-lu-le-lo are and there motives im going to be more than a little disapointed.
ROWAR!
Mark240473
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:10 am Reply with quote

Not that I don't believe CVG regarding the 90 min cutscenes, it's just that I have just read that article in PSW and I can't remember reading anything about 90 min cutscenes. That comment about cushions and teabags, yep. Mmmm.

If it is true, then so be it. I haven't watched a decent film in ages.
roger4000
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:17 am Reply with quote

I'm having problems with this article and it's still quite early on Friday morning remember. is this one cut scene of 90 minutes or cut scenes adding up to 90 minutes. someone help....too much Budweiser last night Confused
svensk101
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:17 am Reply with quote

Surely this means there is 90 minutes worth of cutscenes in the whole game. I don't remember watching MGS2 for 45 mins in one sitting anyway. Or maybe my brain has blocked it out as a traumatic event. Either way, Kojima's obsession with movies is affecting his games for the worse. MGs 1&2 were great but this is silly.
nasim
Kudos: 5

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:23 am Reply with quote

dont troll the thread

whinners

thoses CUTSCENES could be skipped so why whinne

It is not that you are FORCED to watch them as THEY COULD be SKIPPED

MGS4 has 29 hours of gameplay + 9 hour of cinematics

However the cinematics could be SKIPPED if you dont want to watch them

*********xbots stop trolling this thread

Last edited by nasim on 23 May 08 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
roger4000
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 23 May 08 9:25 am Reply with quote

nasim wrote:
dont troll the thread

whinners

thoses CUTSCENES could be skipped so why whinne

It is not that you are FORCED to watch them as THEY COULD be SKIPPED

ship em though and you lose the plot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: