My Opera Community

Samsung and Opera Mini 3.1

Forums » Opera Community » Opera for mobiles » Opera Mini

PermalinkWednesday, 28. November 2007, 15:52:16

ManneS

Opera Softwareavatar

Samsung and Opera Mini 3.1

If you have a Samsung phone that's not working with Opera Mini 4, and you realized after downloading "Opera Mini 3" that it doesn't work, either, we have good news for you! There's a new build out there for you on mini.opera.com!

Everyone else: There's no need to download this if you don't have a Samsung and didn't have an error during startup. The only thing different is the small change for Samsungs.

Old 3.1 build number: 9746
New 3.1 build number: 9903

Enjoy!

PermalinkWednesday, 28. November 2007, 17:18:40

jorboot

it's great that Opera still support 3.1. so when will SP3 be released? :smile:

Originally posted by ManneS:

Everyone else: There's no need to download this if you don't have a Samsung

even so, i'm still going to download this. who knows if it has an undocumented feature like feeds synchronize. :wink:

PermalinkThursday, 29. November 2007, 06:48:23

philry4n

suspecting victim

feeds synchronise is not available if it doesn't have Opera Link :D

PermalinkThursday, 29. November 2007, 10:13:32

ManneS

Opera Softwareavatar

Originally posted by jorboot:

even so, i'm still going to download this. who knows if it has an undocumented feature like feeds synchronize.

Trust me, it hasn't. It's exactly the same code as the last build, it was just build differently. So, as I already said, there's aboslutely no need to download it if you have Opera Mini 3 running on your phone.

PermalinkThursday, 29. November 2007, 16:23:48

5pteron

Can i have a hope of being able to have opera mini 4 running on my samsung u600?

PermalinkThursday, 29. November 2007, 20:44:18

DaLowriderRacer

I found a solution (to my Samsung D820 unbranded /w T-mobile usa). In Samsung's Java Applications menu, highlight OM4. Hit Options then select Permissions. Make sure all the network usage options are set to "Ask each time." Now run OM4. When it asks to connect using Socket, hit No. Then it'll ask to connect using HTTP, hit YES. OM4 should now successfully connect. Cheers!

PermalinkFriday, 30. November 2007, 00:05:11

compking

But this excludes the Tmobile Samsungs right?... (i.e. T-xxx phones right?)

PermalinkFriday, 30. November 2007, 00:39:44

DaLowriderRacer

Originally posted by compking:

But this excludes the Tmobile Samsungs right?... (i.e. T-xxx phones right?)

I cant answer for sure, it really depends if they have the permissions option unlocked from your java menu.

PermalinkFriday, 30. November 2007, 08:14:48

5pteron

Anyone who has a solution for u600 please tell me, thank you.

PermalinkFriday, 30. November 2007, 21:27:52

DaLowriderRacer

Originally posted by 5pteron:

Most samsungs have the same interface, have you tried to do what I've suggsted?

PermalinkSaturday, 1. December 2007, 00:51:38

5pteron

Originally posted by DaLowriderRacer:

Originally posted by 5pteron:

Most samsungs have the same interface, have you tried to do what I've suggsted?

I have tried the method you told me but unfortunately it did not work for me. And u600 has a different interface.

PermalinkFriday, 7. December 2007, 21:02:18

rtfire1

i Have tryed every think i have thought of but i can not get 9903 to download on to my m300

PermalinkThursday, 13. December 2007, 22:04:00, edited Thursday, 13. December 2007, 22:13:10

kasakka

Great! It finally works. Previously I got an "out of memory" error with both 3.1.2 and 4 on my SGH-X700. It seems to have some issues with entering URLs. The 1 key won't do a dot or cycle through characters and the number 1 like it does with the phone's own browser. The font is also really tiny.

A more severe problem is that I can't use scandic letters (Ä,Ö,Å). Do I need to download some other version than "international" to get these working?

PermalinkFriday, 14. December 2007, 08:13:22, edited Friday, 14. December 2007, 08:32:35

serola

@ Kasakka - Try this direct .jar link. You probably have to remove previous version before you download and install it.
http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-mini-3.1.9903-advanced-fi.jar

Edit: I visited your My Opera Blog and therefore I assume you like to have OM3 in Finnish. However, just in case you want it in Swedish:
http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-mini-3.1.9903-advanced-se.jar

PermalinkTuesday, 18. December 2007, 06:58:31

grawity

uʍop-ǝpısdn

Originally posted by kasakka:

Great! It finally works. Previously I got an "out of memory" error with both 3.1.2 and 4 on my SGH-X700. It seems to have some issues with entering URLs. The 1 key won't do a dot or cycle through characters and the number 1 like it does with the phone's own browser. The font is also really tiny.

A more severe problem is that I can't use scandic letters (Ä,Ö,Å). Do I need to download some other version than "international" to get these working?

if you can't type them at all:
the input boxes in OM (the ones where you type text) are provided by the JVM (your phone), so if they don't allow inputting some chars, then there's nothing OM developers can do.
p.s. I've noticed that internal browser often has its own input control.

if you can type them, but they won't show up: is the "small" font selected? it's designed by Opera devs, and still doesn't have some symbols. (100kB limit)

PermalinkTuesday, 18. December 2007, 09:20:47

kasakka

Originally posted by serola:

@ Kasakka - Try this direct .jar link. You probably have to remove previous version before you download and install it.
http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-mini-3.1.9903-advanced-fi.jar

Tried it but still no luck. I'm guessing it's to do with the "Java World" app that Opera runs in.

PermalinkTuesday, 18. December 2007, 11:03:17

serola

Originally posted by kasakka:

Tried it but still no luck. I'm guessing it's to do with the "Java World" app that Opera runs in.

Did you saw what Grawity wrote?

Originally posted by grawity:

the input boxes in OM (the ones where you type text) are provided by the JVM (your phone), so if they don't allow inputting some chars, then there's nothing OM developers can do.

So, it is probably something you have to fix on firmware level. Update firmware and you may get also latest JVM. Or update just JVM if it is possible on SGH-X700. I don't know a thing about those mobile devices. I also recommend you to open separate topic for this issue, if you really want help.

PermalinkSunday, 23. December 2007, 20:26:34

kdavrn

On my x700 I had patched my firmware with java memory patch. Now my phone has about 1 Mbite java heap, and I run and use every day opera mini 4 final.

PermalinkTuesday, 25. December 2007, 22:10:19

toughguypal

Can i use operamini 3.1 on my samsung c130? If yes, :smile: how? If no, too bad :frown: bye.

PermalinkTuesday, 25. December 2007, 23:35:04

airliebird58

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post and I can't seem to get the quote function to work, but I just wanted to mention, and thank, poster DaLowriderRacer for his earlier post in this thread dated 29th of November. How he got OM4 working on his Samsung D820, worked for me on my D900i which is on the UK O2 network.
I was very grateful as i had been scratching my head for most of the day! Hope it helps some others too!
:D

PermalinkWednesday, 26. December 2007, 09:13:22

robert1fan

Hello
I downloaded opera mini 3.1 (files jar and jad) for a samsung i 600, I do not know or place these files in the smartphone to begin installation.

PermalinkWednesday, 26. December 2007, 09:48:31

asadahmad

Originally posted by kdavrn:

On my x700 I had patched my firmware with java memory patch. Now my phone has about 1 Mbite java heap, and I run and use every day opera mini 4 final.

I and all the x700 users will be too happy and thankful to you if you shared how you patched the firmware. thanks alot in advance

PermalinkWednesday, 26. December 2007, 19:27:09

kdavrn

At first, if you will make some coorrections in phone's firmware - you will lose manufacture's warranty.
Second: you will need a special firmaware-download cable. Native usb-cable can't load firmware data in phone.
I made this cable from siemens A60 data-cable. But maybe simply to buy it.

X700 - is an electronic device. It has a memory chip. In this chip there are 3 regions: EEPROM - where holds hardware's settings like battery coefficients, Radio-transmitter's calibrations, phonebook and some other; TFS - telephone file system - there are standart melodies, pictures, wallpapers, your's recorded sounds and so on; CLA-region - firmware - like phone's operation system.

For definite firmware must be the definite patch. For example, for my X700XEEK6 russian programmers made several patches (patches.sgh.ru). Patches - are text instuctions - which bytes in firmaware will be changed. If you will find patches for your firmaware - you will need to compile it to binary code (diff-patch) with special program (ResMan 5.6pro) and download it to you phone.

In russian forum (forum.sgh.ru) there is a topic for nonrussian-speaking people. There you can find information.

Good luck!

Forums » Opera Community » Opera for mobiles » Opera Mini

Web analytics powered by HitsLink.

Copyright © 2001 - 2007 Opera Software. All rights reserved. Help | Contact | Privacy | Disclaimer