Skip navigation.

Opera Mini and Proxy Servers?

Forums » Opera Community » Opera for mobiles » Opera Mini

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 20:25:25

mee

Opera Mini and Proxy Servers?

It's been a while since I tried Opera Mini. This new version sounds good.

The older versions did not support Internet connections via proxy server though, unlike all other browsers I know of, both desktop and mobile (including Opera Desktop and Mobile).

Does version 4 work if one is connected to the net via proxy server?

If not, when will this capability be added?

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 21:34:50

xtratrack

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 03:09:08

mee

Originally posted by xtratrack:

No (at least for me) - http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=212396

That's unfortunate. I wonder why, when every other browser (including other versions of Opera, including Opera Mobile) supports proxies, Opera Mini does not?

It doesn't have to be in the JVM. The java app can include its own proxy support.

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 09:19:35

Menneisyys

mee, first, what device do you have? If you have a Windows Mobile one, you will need to install Jbed. In the FAQ ( http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=210354 ), I've explained Opera Mini 4 is able to use the operating system-level proxy server - but only with Jbed and nothing else.

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 10:15:33

xtratrack

Originally posted by mee:

It doesn't have to be in the JVM. The java app can include its own proxy support.

Maybe, but I can't get Opera Mini to do anything. At the start it looks for a net connection and, when it finds none, it just quits. I can't access any menus.

PermalinkMonday, 12. November 2007, 13:41:33

Menneisyys

Guys, I've tested the proxy support of the current OM4 final build with Jbed. Did you switch the network access mode from Socket to HTTP (Menu / Tools / Settings / Network protocol)? At least under Windows Mobile, it's only after this change that it'll try to use a proxy server; not otherwise (that is, not with the default Socket mode).

PermalinkMonday, 12. November 2007, 20:35:10

xtratrack

Originally posted by Menneisyys:

Did you switch the network access mode from Socket to HTTP (Menu / Tools / Settings / Network protocol)? At least under Windows Mobile,

If only Opera Mini gave me permission to select the Menu... (it quits right after the "failed to connect" error message)

PermalinkWednesday, 14. November 2007, 08:47:17

mkp2

This is the major problem with Opera Mini -- I can't get it work (with my Nokia N95) with proxy servers that require logins. Opera Mini works fine in environments where direct access to the Internet is available. But where proxy server access is required, it fails to connect. It's straightforward to set the proxy server address in the Nokia N95 tool settings, and then when the built-in Nokia browser is used, the user is properly queried for the login-name and password. But when Opera Mini is used, this dialog never takes place -- instead, the attempt to connect hangs, and then a "Failed to Connect" message appears. Opera Mini needs to be fixed so that the login dialog takes place in connection with the proxy server.

PermalinkSaturday, 15. December 2007, 13:49:42

ionasek

Same problem on Nokia E65 : no basic authentication proxy login pop-up on return code ....
No problem mean time with default browser ...

Forums » Opera Community » Opera for mobiles » Opera Mini