My Opera Community

Does anyone find OM4 stable on a Palm Treo/Centro phone?

Forums » Opera Community » Opera for mobiles » Opera Mini

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 19:55:48

unclejung

Does anyone find OM4 stable on a Palm Treo/Centro phone?

I have a Centro. I love the browser, but OM4 freezes my Palm Centro often enough that I may consider it impractical. This is the only app so far that crashes the Centro. I have been using Palm Treo/Centro lines for 3 years so I am quite familiar with the ins and outs of apps and the little things one can do make it more stable. But I am afraid OM4 is beyond help with the Palm Treo/Centro line. I am hoping to hear of a single case where someone has it run stable in a Treo/Centro device.

My Java VM settings are: 8MB max mem (out of 40MB free), 32K stack, no double buffering, no hi res coord.
Crash symtoms: OM4 mostly unresponsive in the middle of downloading a page and may response to a scrolling action slightly within the first 10 seconds of the freeze, but then eventually no response whatsoever. Had to take out the phone battery to reset.
Other observations: nice page rendering. Love the mobile mode. Great UI. Full screen browing awsome on small device like it's intended. But it is moticeably slower than Blazer downloading pages.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1373399&posted=1#post1373399

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 20:12:29

orizng

it does crash my centro, but not to the degree of "impractical" in my case.

you may try to reduce memory to 4mb, and lower image quality.

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 21:27:01

unclejung

I tried 1MB and 8MB, and now 4MB. I doubt it make a difference.
I really like OM4, and I think it would be a lot more popular with the Treo/Centro crowd if it doesn't freeze the device. Most of us who frequent this type of forums are tinkerers so we may put up with an app because we want to be on the bleeding edge, but a normal user will definitely be turned off by it. The #1 function of a phone is typically making phones call, so if an app freezes it, it's a big deal to most people.

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 22:53:46

orizng

it does make difference, onmy TX, difference between 1mb and others are simply stability and reset

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 23:15:01

unclejung

Are you saying 1MB is bad, 8MB is bad, but 4MB is good?

PermalinkFriday, 9. November 2007, 23:53:32

orizng

no, i think smaller is generaly more stable, but obviously also depends on whats on your device. and smaller memory, altho stable, has trouble handle large pages.

its a balance. stability and usability

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 02:43:51

mrhocuspocus

just thought id pop in, this is why i joined this forum. im having the same problem on the htc touch phone complete freeze, battery must be taken out to fix problem. not sure how to allocate memory but i have alot of it (108MB free). i love this browser for the touch zoom but i cant use it bc its completely unstable.

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 08:32:31

dre_dbldbl

hey unclejung, i've followed your treads here as well as the one in treocentral. initially I had an out-of-memory error when I surfed around a bunch of pages after the inital installation. and then a major lockup of the browser after surfing around pretty hard (using the zoom and speed dial functions), I had to soft reboot.

I followed the instructions to increase the VM settings, and so far pretty stable. Then again, I didn't workout the Opera4 too hard because of the nightmare of removing the battery cover :shudder:

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 11:05:04

jleach1972

hi guys,
i have a Treo 650, anyone who relies on its capabilities knows how critical stability is, and how difficult it can be to maintain. so i am always wary of installing new apps. my initial results with OM4 were similiar to the previous posts. however, i have now got a stable browser that makes me wonder how i ever used Blazer. it is so much faster, by a factor of at least 3, and loads pages i had trouble with in Blazer.

here's my suggestions: delete all previous instances of OM & do a fresh install of the current release. make sure to keep the same java settings as required for OM3 (enable double buffer,1mb memory, 32k stack). and last but maybe most important: you must allow it to finish the previous command (ie: loading page after clicking link, etc) prior to any additional input. i found that when my impatience caused me to try scrolling, hitting stop, etc (as we could in Blazer to jolt it back to life) that i would get the app hung up. simple but it works!

good luck!

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 16:04:40

quickstang

I have a 700p, and my issues, are for one I dont see any images, and that kind of sucks, and I have it set to be able to view them.

Second, I've had it hang a few times, so I have to exit out of the program because it wont load a site. So I can say, that it isn't totally stable, or maybe it was a server problem. One way or another, I have 2 problems I know of. I just deleted it and went back to blazer for now. Not that I have even used Opera because i've never found it to be the most complete browser (the cut copy paste deal is a deal breaker for me) but I like to at least play with it on occasion.

Honestly, I dont think Opera will ever be the type of browser that is geared towards our devices. Looks like it could be, but its not. Its nice that companies try and please everyone, but at the same time I think it only makes things worse.

The day a good browser hits the Palm, is the day I dish out good $$$$. More than likely that wont happen, and it will be a new OS by that time, with a new browser built in, so i'm in the safe zone.

Xiino worked well, and I am hoping some day that the Universe browser will be done because it looked very promising last year, or when it was in the works.

The worst thing is that our devices are used for productivity unlike some other phones, and a solid browser should be standard but isn't. They spend time on other crap, but cant get a good browser going when most people are surfing the net with the device.

Anyway yeah, I have problems too.

PermalinkSaturday, 10. November 2007, 20:04:15

unclejung

Thanks for the feedback. I will try using double buffering to see if that helps.
It's surprising for me to see not many responses from Treo/Centro users. I wonder if most people don't want to go through the trouble of installing Java VM and this browser, or perhaps they tried it in the past and didn't like it. I tried the old version 2 years ago and didn't care for it either. However this still caught me by surprise because there is a huge community of Palm user out there many of whom were looking for a good browser.

Anyhow , I like OM4. On the Centro it's about half as fast as Palm's native Blazer browser for me, which is not bad because Blazer on EV-DO is really fast. I do miss the native Palm app tight integration like menu and hard buttons. The OM4 team did a great job with the T9 key menu so once one is in the browser, it worked well. In Mobile mode the 5-key left-right will trigger page up/down, and up-down does the fine scrolling and link selection so basic navigation is covered.

I am hoping that the freezing bug got fixed. OM4 such a good browser to be crippled by such a bug. It's a pity.

PermalinkMonday, 12. November 2007, 20:17:21

dre_dbldbl

pretty stable, so far. one more incident of having to soft reboot; it hung while trying to load up the browser. my previous action before that was a successful installation and use of USBModem, so I'm pinpointing that as the cause of the hang up/need to reboot.

definitely heeding what a previous poster said, to take the time to let pages load. I'm a bit spoiled with Blazer, as you can scroll around and click on links while the page loads... not the case with OM4! I'd guess it's due to how java handles the page loading.

For what it's worth, I am getting the hang of removing and replacing the battery cover of the Centro.

PermalinkMonday, 12. November 2007, 21:36:57

LFeldman

I'll add my 2 cents.

I use a Treo 650. The early Betas crashed constantly, so bad I removed them. Beta 3 and Final have been rock solid. Since the release of 3, they have crashed (reset) only twice, and that was when I experimented with Java settings. The minute I went to 4 MB, the system rebooted. Back to 1 MB, and Opera has been working flawlessly.

Good luck!

Larry

PermalinkMonday, 12. November 2007, 23:48:11

unclejung

I started out with the default setting of IBM Java VM which was 1MB, stack size=8kb (?). It was pretty unstable at that setting. I am going to try 1MB, 32KB stack, double buffering to see if it's better.

I wish there were a way to set it up so that hitting the home hard button would bring up whatever the home button is mapped to on the Palm, and the same for the other Palm hard buttons. It's annoying having to bring up OM4 menu to exit the browser. At least there should be an easy way to exit the browser without having to go through the menu.

PermalinkTuesday, 13. November 2007, 05:13:29

xlight

蓝色闪电

IBM Java VM which was 32MB, stack size=32kb

Almost Stable

PermalinkTuesday, 13. November 2007, 22:11:49

Aenea

I am having similar problems with freezing on my 700p, but even worse. My palm won't recognize the SD card unless I "warm" reset it. A normal soft reset doesn't even do the trick. I've had to uninstall the whole thing just to keep my device working properly.

PermalinkWednesday, 14. November 2007, 02:33:27

jwendolo

It's been working very well with my 700p for the past week. I crashed it twice, both times on complicated web sites where I think I was picking while it was still loading. For 700p users, might want to make sure you have the latest firmware. I also suspect that you can get program conflicts when one program doesn't clear out memory when it exits.

PermalinkFriday, 16. November 2007, 19:09:58, edited Friday, 16. November 2007, 19:35:18

unclejung

Setting IBM JVM to 1MB max, 32K thread stack, double buffering seemed to improve stability somewhat. My Centro still freezes from time to time, but it's more likely now for me to finish a browsing session without having to reset the Centro. But it still happens often enough for me to think twice between using the built in Blazer or OM4 to browse the web every time. My inclination is to use Blazer when I need things fast, and OM4 when I want a nicely formed pages.

Back to my original question wanting to know if anyone found OM4 stable on a Palm Treo/Centro device, I suspect the answer is "No." From reading other Palm related thread I think the problem is in IBM JVM distributed by Palm.

I posted the problem in Palm support forum: http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=software&thread.id=20211

PermalinkFriday, 16. November 2007, 23:07:40

DavidEBSmith

It works pretty well on my 755p. It hung the first time I tried it and has been OK since. Settings are 1MB/32K/double buffering/high res.

The issues I've had are:

- I have my 755p set to prompt before connecting to the network and if it's not connected when I go into Opera, when the dialog to confirm that you want to connect comes up over Opera, the screen gets scrambled. I have to remember that the "OK" button is in the lower left corner and hit where it should be.

- OM doesn't work well with GroupWise web access in full web mode- some of the controls don't work. It works fine in the dumber "mobile" mode, but so does Blazer.

- It seems like the phone is really cranking on the Internet connection because it gets warmer than it does with Blazer and the battery really gets sucked down fast. It should be transmitting less data back and forth but it seems like it's doing more.

PermalinkMonday, 19. November 2007, 04:22:05

thejesusegg

I love Opera on my desktop and I loved Opera mini on my LG Fusic, but I've been less than impressed with it on my Centro. I've tried various setting and tricks to get it usable and stable. So far it's been stable now, but it still slow to connect to web pages. Once it connects it renders fine; it just lags. I'm open to more suggestions. I have double buffering on, 32k stack, and I've tried various memory settings as well.

Forums » Opera Community » Opera for mobiles » Opera Mini

Web analytics powered by HitsLink.

Copyright © 2001 - 2007 Opera Software. All rights reserved. Help | Contact | Privacy | Disclaimer