Topic Title: Virtual Console Mondays: February 5
Created On Mon February 05, 2007 9:46 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

NewsBot
News Posting Robot

Mon February 05, 2007 9:46 PM

Super Mario World, Gain Ground and Vigilante were released today. Besides the obvious, which ones are worth your Points?

Welcome to another week of classic game downloads on Nintendo's Virtual Console service. The Big N is coming out of the gate again this week with another 16-bit heavyweight, while Sega finally releases the last of the three games that should have been available last month. A whimpy TG16 game rounds out the three newbies that you can nab through the Wii Shop Channel.

Here's all you need to know about this batch of games.

Super Mario World - SNES

Super Mario World - SNES

Released 8/13/1991
1-2 Players
Cost: 800 Wii Points ($8)
Controllers: Wii Classic, GameCube

Super Mario World should need no introduction. It was the Mario title that launched with the SNES and introduced a number of things to the series. It was the first Mario game that featured Yoshi. It was the first Mario game that let you take an extra power-up item with you into a level. It was also the first game that let you play as a bona fide Super Mario, courtesy the magic cape. Nintendo took all the good things from the previous Mario games and put them into a single SNES cartridge, then added in a map with secret paths and a super-hidden set of special stages. Groovy.

Those without a Wii Classic controller should be aware that the giant gap between the B and Y Buttons on the GameCube controller will make things a little hard to handle. The SNES buttons translate directly to their GameCube counterparts, meaning that run and jump are not easily pressable at the same time. It looks like the only way to play Super Mario World on the Wii is to use a Classic controller (or an SNES RetroPort).

Recommended for EveryoneSuper Mario World is another essential SNES game that you should own in one form or another. There's really nothing more that needs to be said about it. Now that there's a big-name Mario game from each of the three Nintendo systems available to download, we can all die happy. Well, maybe not until Super Mario Bros. 3 gets here.

Gain Ground - Genesis

Gain Ground - Genesis

Released 1/2/1991
1-2 Players
Cost: 800 Wii Points ($8)
Controllers: Wii Remote, Wii Classic, GameCube

In the 31st Century, a peaceful human race decided it would be a good idea to create a war simulator to train people to deal with a possible alien invasion. Before that happened, though, the simulation system went haywire and trapped a bunch of people inside of it. The premise of Gain Ground is to go in to the system, battle through a room full of enemies and projectiles, get to the exit and repeat until everyone is dead. Players can choose between a 20 different characters with different attributes and weapons to help clear the way. Each stage is set up in a way where there is an optimal character to use, so you'd best rescue as many as you can along the way. You'll need them all to get through the game's 50 stages.

Recommended for FansAt first, Gain Ground seems like an extremely boring rip-off of Smash T.V. However, the further into the game you progress, the more it stands out on its own. The different characters provide an interesting twist on the gauntlet-shooter genre, and the ability to mix and match abilities with two players simultaneously opens up more possibilities. Despite it being rather slow, we'll still recommend it to people who like to take on waves of enemies with their backs to the wall.

Vigilante - TurboGrafx 16

Vigilante - TurboGrafx 16

Released 10/1989
1 Player
Cost: 600 Wii Points ($6)
Controllers: Wii Remote, Wii Classic, GameCube

The bad guys have taken Madonna! (No, not that Madonna.) Playing the role of the Vigilante, you must battle through five puny levels filled mostly with enemies that go flying back with a single punch or kick. Once and a while you'll find a nunchuk on the ground (no, not that nunchuk) that you can use to make quick work of most enemies, which is especially important for the tougher baddies that have weapons of their own. The boss fights at the end of each level are pretty challenging, though.

Not RecommendedVigilante is too simple and too short for the price. The difficulty is there, but by the time you start to get the hang of things you will have beaten the game. It wouldn't have been much better if there were any two-player modes. Steer clear of this one.

-------------------------
"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Edited: Mon February 05, 2007 at 9:53 AM by Nintendo World Report Moderator

Bottom

nintendogamecube86
NWR Forum User

Mon February 05, 2007 10:36 PM
User is offline View users profile

Super Mario World is THE best 2D Mario game, period.

I am upset about the controls though. I have no interest in the Classic Controller, and don't want to buy it just for 1 game. I wish Nintendo would bring that Classic Controller/5000 Wii Points card deal they have in Japan over here.

www.jimmyvan.com/­board/index.php?

Bottom

sycomonkey
NWR Forum User

Mon February 05, 2007 11:18 PM

I have three VC games: Zelda:LTTP, Gunstar Heroes, and now Super Mario World. Each one is much better on the classic controller... If you aren't interested in the classic controller then you must not be interested in the VC in general, because they're virtually codependent...

I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here. So instead I'll just complain...

Bottom

Smoke39
NWR Forum User

Mon February 05, 2007 11:40 PM

The only advantage the classic controller has over the 'Cube controller is that its d-pad is in a better position. I already have two Hori pads that could work perfectly fine for SNES games if they hadn't screwed up the button mapping. At least they work perfectly well for NES and Genesis games. Like 'cube86, I'm not gonna get a classic controller just for SMW. Maybe later when there're more games that really require it. It's kinda irritating, though, that, failing user-customizable button mappings, they didn't at least make per-game 'Cube button mappings like they did for the classic controller.

Here I come, Mr. Flapjack. Gonna eatcha.

Bottom

Entroper
NWR Forum User

Mon February 05, 2007 11:48 PM

The classic controller is a must for SNES gaming on the Virtual Console. The button layout is perfect, and the cube controller absolutely won't do the old games justice, with any button mapping. The D-Pad alone kills it.

Entroper
http://entroper.no-ip.org/

Bottom

KDR_11k
Apogee Fanboy

Mon February 05, 2007 11:52 PM

Whoa, Gain Ground got a better rating than I expected.

Death to all Podcasts!

Bottom

tonythekitty
NWR Forum User

Tue February 06, 2007 12:24 AM

Vigilante actually plays almost exactly like "Kung-Fu" from the arcade and the NES. It has an insanely hard difficulty level for something with such easy to learn controls. The addition of the "Nunchuck" is really the only thing that seperates this from "Kung-Fu" it deserves a better rating than Not reccommended. It is pretty fun, especially if you grew up with Kung Fu in the arcade. i just hope that Turbografx releases some more fighters like Splatterhouse!

To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Bottom

Kairon
NWR Forum User

Tue February 06, 2007 12:31 AM
User is online

Does Gain Ground have a food meter that counts down? I'm eyeing it, especially after that Smash TV comparison, but I can't stand time limits, nor can I stand food time limits.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Bottom

WindyMan
Director
Mailbag Poobah

Tue February 06, 2007 12:45 AM

Originally posted by: Kairon
Does Gain Ground have a food meter that counts down? I'm eyeing it, especially after that Smash TV comparison, but I can't stand time limits, nor can I stand food time limits.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

There is a time limit on each stage, and it does factor in during the harder levels.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Director, Nintendo World Report

Respect the power of the wind.

Bottom

KDR_11k
Apogee Fanboy

Tue February 06, 2007 1:37 AM

And it's nothing like Smash TV.

Death to all Podcasts!

Bottom

Ceric
Someone Else

Tue February 06, 2007 9:17 AM

Originally posted by: nintendogamecube86
Super Mario World is THE best 2D Mario game, period.

I am upset about the controls though. I have no interest in the Classic Controller, and don't want to buy it just for 1 game. I wish Nintendo would bring that Classic Controller/5000 Wii Points card deal they have in Japan over here.

I have to disagree. I personally think Super Mario Bros 3 is the best. Oh also on a side note. I found that I like playing a lot of the d-pad games with the analog stick on the classic controller. *shrug*

Coconuts: More Dangerous than Sharks
The Most Social Hermit you'll Ever Know.
"You know I bought this thing of Dawn and I want the Kitchen Sink that's suppose to come with it..."
If you are considering Gamefly let me refer you, please.
Far far farfetch'd fetch. Fetch'd far farfetch far. <I'm not Mischievous. I'm just divinely led.>

Bottom

KDR_11k
Apogee Fanboy

Tue February 06, 2007 9:47 AM

I don't like SMB3 as much, the levels are shorter and less interesting.

Death to all Podcasts!

Bottom

Acefondu
NWR Forum User

Tue February 06, 2007 10:31 AM

You call the airship levels at the end of SMB3 uninteresting? Overall, I thought both had unique level designs, if not tilting toward SMB3 what with giant world, and that crazy world 7.

Semi trucks are big, I'd hate to see a truck.

Bottom

Acefondu
NWR Forum User

Tue February 06, 2007 10:32 AM

Oh, and I LOVE Smash TV!

Semi trucks are big, I'd hate to see a truck.

Bottom

Ian Sane
...but not so much anymore

Tue February 06, 2007 11:36 AM
User is online

"I have no interest in the Classic Controller, and don't want to buy it just for 1 game."

So is Super Mario World the only SNES game you plan on buying? For any other game that used Y to run/attack and B to jump the Cube controller just isn't going to fly.

My film collection featuring Fatal Bullet, The Ninja Films, and Cowboy/Superhero. Laugh and groan at the poor attempts at comedy!

Bottom

Entroper
NWR Forum User

Wed February 07, 2007 4:19 AM

SMW is a great game, well-balanced, plenty of tricks to find, good production quality. But really, the only thing it has over SMB3 is the aspect of finding secret exits to new levels. SMB3 had more creativity and variance in its level design. I really enjoyed how each world had its own theme. If you use the warp whistles, you miss out on some of the best parts of the game. Who has honestly played through the entire game without warping? It's really a wonderful experience. World 7 feels like it takes days to complete. I'd be picking this one up on the VC if I didn't already have Super Mario All-Stars for my still-working-perfectly SNES.

Makes me wonder if All-Stars will ever be released for the Virtual Console. It would certainly be cheaper than spending 1500 Wii Points on SMB1-3, plus it comes with The Lost Levels, and it has improved graphics and music (transparency + parallax backgrounds FTW), AND you can save your games! IMO they could charge 1000 or 1200 points for this title and it would be a steal, but I doubt it will ever be available at all.

Entroper
http://entroper.no-ip.org/

Bottom

KDR_11k
Apogee Fanboy

Wed February 07, 2007 6:19 AM

SMW had thmes to the worlds too but they weren't as pronounced and there was no dedicated ice world.

I'd buy SM Allstars on the VC because I have no idea where my SNES copy ended up.

Death to all Podcasts!

Bottom

Ceric
Someone Else

Wed February 07, 2007 9:10 AM

Entroper. I wanted to unlock level select in the GBA version of SMB3 so I've played through every level in the game. For some reason I can't beat the last little castle so I didn't beat it. It was a great trip.

I also have SMW for the GBA already, because everyone ranted about it. I'll go back and spend some more time on it after Pheonix Wright, game is a lot better after that initial hump.

Coconuts: More Dangerous than Sharks
The Most Social Hermit you'll Ever Know.
"You know I bought this thing of Dawn and I want the Kitchen Sink that's suppose to come with it..."
If you are considering Gamefly let me refer you, please.
Far far farfetch'd fetch. Fetch'd far farfetch far. <I'm not Mischievous. I'm just divinely led.>

Edited: Wed February 07, 2007 at 9:11 AM by Ceric

Bottom

KDR_11k
Apogee Fanboy

Wed February 07, 2007 9:34 AM

The last castle isn't that hard. I beat it as a kid and I beat it now.

Death to all Podcasts!

Bottom

Bloodworth
Content Editor

Wed February 07, 2007 11:49 AM
User is online View users profile

Originally posted by: Entroper
SMW is a great game, well-balanced, plenty of tricks to find, good production quality. But really, the only thing it has over SMB3 is the aspect of finding secret exits to new levels. SMB3 had more creativity and variance in its level design. I really enjoyed how each world had its own theme. If you use the warp whistles, you miss out on some of the best parts of the game. Who has honestly played through the entire game without warping? It's really a wonderful experience. World 7 feels like it takes days to complete. I'd be picking this one up on the VC if I didn't already have Super Mario All-Stars for my still-working-perfectly SNES.

Makes me wonder if All-Stars will ever be released for the Virtual Console. It would certainly be cheaper than spending 1500 Wii Points on SMB1-3, plus it comes with The Lost Levels, and it has improved graphics and music (transparency + parallax backgrounds FTW), AND you can save your games! IMO they could charge 1000 or 1200 points for this title and it would be a steal, but I doubt it will ever be available at all.

I also have All-Stars, so I don't need SMW as long as the battery lasts. However, the "improved" graphics and music for the others are not so interesting now. Thus, I'll be picking up all the NES Marios on VC.

Daniel Bloodworth
Content Editor
Nintendo World Report

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > TalkBack < refresh >

Navigation:

Copyright 2003 Planet GameCube. All your post are belong to us.
Please Read the Planet GameCube Forum Rules. Your use of the Planet GameCube Forums is contingent upon your agreeing to abide by the rules.
FuseTalk 4.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.