Topic Title: Virtual Console Mondays: February 26, 2007
Created On Mon February 26, 2007 8:25 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

NewsBot
News Posting Robot

Mon February 26, 2007 8:25 PM

Another Zelda classic comes to Virtual Console. How many of those does Nintendo have, anyway?

Hey, look at that. Nintendo brings another AAA Zelda title to Virtual Console. Unlike the last time they pulled a stunt like this, there are two other games to support it. It turns out they are pretty respectable, too.

Before we get into this week's recommendations, we'd like to announce that we've added a new index page for our Virtual Console recommendations. It includes all of our Virtual Console Mondays news features listed by week, as well as an alphabetical list for you to pick a game and see what we thought of it. The list is currently missing a good chunk of releases at the moment, but we're doing our best to fill in the gaps as quickly as we can. You can easily access it on the navigation menu to the left.

Here are the three games released this Virtual Console Monday.

Chew Man Fu - TurboGrafx-16

Chew Man Fu - TurboGrafx-16

Released 7/1990
1-2 Players
Cost: 600 Wii Points ($6)
Controllers: Wii Remote, Wii Classic, GameCube

Chew Man Fu is advertised as a puzzle/action hybrid. The premise is to roam through a fixed-screen maze and pick up four different colored balls, which must be rolled on to the correct colored pads to complete the level. These balls also act as weapons that you can kick to take out enemies or break down walls. The tricky part is that these balls also act as obstacles which can trap you on the wrong side of an incoming enemy. Ball positioning and efficient wall-breaking make up the puzzle part of the game, while the enemies and a quick time limit make the action part pretty fast.

Recommended for FansThis is a pretty decent game, and not a bad deal at 600 points. There's a two player mode to co-op through the game, as well as a funky soccer mini-game to kill time. It's a little on the one-dimensional side to recommend it to everyone, though, so instead we'll just tell all the 16-bit die-hards out there that Chew Man Fu is something you may want to try out if you're looking for something else to play on VC. - Steven Rodriguez

Bio-Hazard Battle - Genesis

Bio-Hazard Battle - Genesis

Released 10/30/1992
1-2 Players
Cost: 800 Wii Points ($8)
Controllers: Wii Remote, Wii Classic, GameCube

Add this game to the already extensive selection of "shmups" on Virtual Console. Bio-Hazard Battle is a horizontally scrolling shooter that plays very much like Gradius and R-Type, although the aesthetics are closer to Darius Twin (which will surely find its way to VC one of these days). The ships and enemies all have biological designs based mostly on insects, fish, and crustaceans. You can choose from four playable ships, each with different handling speed and different sub-weapons.

Recommended for FansBio-Hazard Battle is a solid, entertaining shooter with all the usual trappings of the genre - weak story, occasional slowdown, only a few levels (eight in all), and plenty of difficulty. Your ship always has a "seed pod" which hovers nearby, shooting a sub-weapon determined by the color of power-ups you collect. It's very much like the "options" in Gradius, but it also blocks enemy shots like the pod in R-Type. Although the game technically supports the Wii Remote, you won't have good access to the A button for rapid fire, so the GameCube and Classic controllers are preferable. - Jonathan Metts

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Nintendo 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Nintendo 64

Released 11/23/1998
1 Player
Cost: 1000 Wii Points ($10)
Controllers: Wii Classic, GameCube

Ocarina of Time is, and probably always will be, the most significant 3D Zelda. Along with Mario, the franchise made a seamless transition from 2D through retaining the series' root gameplay and adding new facets to take the experience to the next level. The now-ubiquitous Z-targeting, an open world, and complex puzzles are all here. Make no mistake - there's a reason why people call it the greatest game ever made.

Unfortunately, there are a few minor blemishes present in the Virtual Console release. While the N64 controller is nothing to be proud of, its unique setup is difficult to replicate, and as such, using the right analog stick in place of the C-Buttons for item equipment feels a little janky. Luckily, they're also mapped to face buttons, but it's still no replacement for the original scheme. Furthermore, the N64 emulation on Wii doesn't feature rumble functionality, so stuff like the Stone of Agony won't work.

Recommended for EveryoneAt the end of the day, the aforementioned details are minute, and don't really detract from the experience. Ocarina's still one of Nintendo's best releases ever, and it'll still rock your world, even beyond the nostalgia bit. So unless you already own the game in some form, it's a definite purchase. - Karl Castaneda

-------------------------
"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Edited: Mon February 26, 2007 at 8:34 AM by Nintendo World Report Moderator

Bottom

vudu
Chernobog

Mon February 26, 2007 8:34 PM
User is offline View users profile

Thank goodness for the VC Recommendations Index!

Any chance you guys (i.e. TYP, IIRC) will reformat the list to be more like the regular Reviews section? It would be great if we could just scroll down the list and see which games are recommended without individually selecting them from the current drop down menu. The ability to filter and sort (by name, original system, rating, etc) would be excellent, too.

One day you're thinking that maybe you're feeling better, and you're probably an okay person, if only you had a job ...

Bottom

Entroper
NWR Forum User

Mon February 26, 2007 9:26 PM

So there is, in fact, no rumble in Ocarina of Time.

Lame. The Gamecube bonus disc version had rumble.

Lame.

Entroper
http://entroper.no-ip.org/

Bottom

GoldenPhoenix
NWR Forum User

Mon February 26, 2007 9:27 PM

What is the resolution and framerate like in Zelda: OOT? Is it the same as the N64 version or does it have a minor facelift like the Zelda bonus disk for GC?

The Nintendo Wii is here.

Next up is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Coming: July 21, 2007!

Visit my cool myspace page

Pick up your copy of Sonic Tilt N Tumble for Wii, it is innovation at its finest

RIP Steve Irwin. You are still greatly missed

Bottom

thatguy
NWR Forum User

Mon February 26, 2007 9:45 PM

I love the stock Zelda photo.

Bottom

nintendogamecube86
NWR Forum User

Mon February 26, 2007 10:10 PM

Originally posted by: Entroper
So there is, in fact, no rumble in Ocarina of Time.

Lame. The Gamecube bonus disc version had rumble.

Lame.

Are you surprised? Nintendo said months ago that Virtual Console games would not have rumble or online play.

www.jimmyvan.com/­board/index.php?

Bottom

WindyMan
Director
Mailbag Poobah

Mon February 26, 2007 10:59 PM

Originally posted by: vudu
Thank goodness for the VC Recommendations Index!

Any chance you guys (i.e. TYP, IIRC) will reformat the list to be more like the regular Reviews section? It would be great if we could just scroll down the list and see which games are recommended without individually selecting them from the current drop down menu. The ability to filter and sort (by name, original system, rating, etc) would be excellent, too.

The index's primary purpose is to serve as a hub for all our VC Mondays updates. The drop-down game list was a bonus addition that Michael Cole added pretty much at the last minute. A kickin' rad addition, I might add.

In the process of deciding how we wanted to go about including VC games in our database, we decided that it would be best to keep real Wii games separate from VC games. We settled on just updating the news every week with our recommendations—again, we consider VC games separate from full-blown Wii games, and so we don't consider our VC ratings as actual reviews. The effort to make VC games function like regular game profiles with a sortable index would have been far too much trouble to make work with the site because of how differently we treat VC stuff.

Be happy with what you're given! We're working hard on making sure every game has a recommendation now, so please look forward to that.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Director, Nintendo World Report

Respect the power of the wind.

Bottom

thatguy
NWR Forum User

Mon February 26, 2007 11:05 PM

I think it's great that you can go one place to easily find all the games. It's a welcome addition, especially in my book.

Bottom

tonythekitty
NWR Forum User

Tue February 27, 2007 1:50 AM

Now am I correct in understanding that te only thing that prevents us from downloading other regions Virtual console games is the region of the unit itself? Does this mean that if I buy a second Wii from japan then I can download Neo Geo games? Or would I not be able to use my credit card to buy points off of it?

Also does anyone think that they will release Super Metroid for SNES? That was a truly great game.

To err is human but to really F@*K things up takes Sony.

Bottom

ViewtifulGamer
Staff Hero

Tue February 27, 2007 3:41 AM

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
What is the resolution and framerate like in Zelda: OOT? Is it the same as the N64 version or does it have a minor facelift like the Zelda bonus disk for GC?

I'm more inclined to think it's the hi-res bonus disk version, but I'm playing on Standard Def, so I can't say for sure. If they're different versions, I certainly can't tell. As for the framerate, its pretty smooth, but definitely not 60 FPS.

-Karl Castaneda-
Previews Editor
Rumors Editor
Podcast Pirate

Bottom

Tansunn
NWR Forum User

Tue February 27, 2007 4:48 AM

Originally posted by: tonythekitty
Also does anyone think that they will release Super Metroid for SNES? That was a truly great game.

Of course they will. It's all a matter of when they do it. Perhaps to coincide with the release of Metroid Prime 3 so new gamers can get a look at what the series was like before it went 3D.

Because if they don't release Super Metroid for VC, they're freakin' stupid.

please poke it for science.

Bottom

Caliban
Dyaus Pitar

Tue February 27, 2007 8:06 AM

Originally posted by: tonythekitty
Now am I correct in understanding that te only thing that prevents us from downloading other regions Virtual console games is the region of the unit itself? Does this mean that if I buy a second Wii from japan then I can download Neo Geo games? Or would I not be able to use my credit card to buy points off of it?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes, you can use your credit card to buy points off of it. A while ago there was this video feature from ign-wii, about importing the Wii for its VC games, where Matt and Bozon clearly said what was possible and what wasn't. If you want to confirm my answers, just watch the video on this link http://media.wii.ign.com/articles/760/760035/vids_1.html.

My blog

Edited: Tue February 27, 2007 at 8:08 AM by Caliban

Bottom

Ceric
Someone Else

Tue February 27, 2007 8:45 AM

Boo.... Not the Zelda that I wanted.

Coconuts: More Dangerous than Sharks
The Most Social Hermit you'll Ever Know.
"You know I bought this thing of Dawn and I want the Kitchen Sink that's suppose to come with it..."
If you are considering Gamefly let me refer you, please.
Far far farfetch'd fetch. Fetch'd far farfetch far. <I'm not Mischievous. I'm just divinely led.>

Bottom

KDR_11k
Apogee Fanboy

Tue February 27, 2007 10:27 AM
User is online View users profile

Yep, gimme Majora's Mask and LttP, the two I'm missing (and maybe Link's Awakening, my cart broke shortly after I finished it for the first time).

Death to all Podcasts!

Bottom

Ceric
Someone Else

Tue February 27, 2007 11:00 AM

Majora Mask and Adventure of Link. The first I never got to play the second I never got to beat.

Coconuts: More Dangerous than Sharks
The Most Social Hermit you'll Ever Know.
"You know I bought this thing of Dawn and I want the Kitchen Sink that's suppose to come with it..."
If you are considering Gamefly let me refer you, please.
Far far farfetch'd fetch. Fetch'd far farfetch far. <I'm not Mischievous. I'm just divinely led.>

Bottom

Moto Yugota
NWR Forum User

Tue February 27, 2007 11:26 AM

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Yep, gimme Majora's Mask and LttP, the two I'm missing (and maybe Link's Awakening, my cart broke shortly after I finished it for the first time).

Dude A Link to the Past has been on the VC for over a month already. Where were you?

Bottom

ATimson
NWR Forum User

Tue February 27, 2007 11:37 AM

Originally posted by: nintendogamecube86
Are you surprised? Nintendo said months ago that Virtual Console games would not have rumble or online play.

Yes, they said that online play wouldn't be added. But I don't remember them ever saying that rumble would be removed. Care to provide a source?

Grr. Argh.

Bottom

vudu
Chernobog

Tue February 27, 2007 11:39 AM

Originally posted by: Moto Yugota

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Dude A Link to the Past has been on the VC for over a month already. Where were you?
Germany.

One day you're thinking that maybe you're feeling better, and you're probably an okay person, if only you had a job ...

Bottom

Jonnyboy117
Reviews Editor

Thu March 01, 2007 1:08 PM

Majora's Mask will probably make it one day, assuming there are no problems emulating the Expansion Pak. I'm looking forward to that because it's better than OoT (yeah, I said it!).

Jonathan Metts
Reviews Editor, Nintendo World Report

Bottom

Professional 666
HI I'M DAISY

Thu March 01, 2007 1:23 PM
User is online View users profile

OH SNAPS, JOHN-BOY LAYS THE SMAK DOWN

I agree.

S-Video / Component Cable Thread
Wii Media Blitz!
MY SITE

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > TalkBack < refresh >

Navigation:

Copyright 2003 Planet GameCube. All your post are belong to us.
Please Read the Planet GameCube Forum Rules. Your use of the Planet GameCube Forums is contingent upon your agreeing to abide by the rules.
FuseTalk 4.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.